JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Questions about the S21 line and OneUI Questions/Feature Requests.

(Topic created on: 1/26/21 6:21 PM)
userU8Y7kDNnuK
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

While I doubt this will get any traction, I would like to ask multiple questions about the S21 line and OneUI while making feature requests. I would put the OneUI section in a OneUI section of the forum but it doesn't exist. If you agree with my thoughts and/or want one of the things that I mentioned to be changed too, please reply with +1 to the point(s) I make.

--Model Colors--
The S21 line is beautiful and they look great but I'd like to know why Pink, Violet*1, Grey and White are limited to base S21; Violet, Silver*2, Black*3 to S21+ and all of the Samsung Store exclusives (Gold and Red for S21+ and Titanium, Navy and Brown for S21U, I'm also not saying make these not store exclusives) are limited to their specific models. Each model should be able to get the same colors and be colorful.

--Heart rate and SP02 sensor removal--
Obviously this is for money but why did the heartrate and co sensors got removed from the S21 Line and S20 line, these are incrediblely useful sensors to have on a smartphone.

--MicroSD Slot--
Why has the MicroSD card slot been removed from the S21 line? You gave us 8K @24 FPS which eats up massive amounts of storage, "8K Video Snap" which takes 33MP pictures from the 8K frames and upgraded Single Take which also results in a lot of storage usage. The storage options you provide are large but not big enough for this. On the official samsung website*4, it is stated that 1 minute of 8K24 video produces a file of 600MB, per 5 minute videos this equals 3GB video files. A 128GB device gives 110GB *5 usable space which results in 36.3r Hours of 8K24 Video (r standing for recurring), this doesn't take into account any other storage usage from apps or files which makes the 36 Hour quickly shrink. Assuming that 18GB is given to the System across each model, a 512GB model gives you 164.66r Hours of 8K24 not taking into account other files or apps. 164.66 sounds like a lot until you spread it over 24 hour days and it becomes only 6.86 days. There are many users who take video very regularly and will burn through this local storage. I'll continue with this in my next point. There are also users who modify their devices who require persistant local storage for important files such as photos, music or movies for when they are reinstalling or moving to a custom build of Android. This hurts that community. Having a MicroSD card slot also provides the safety for said important files incase of a unforseeable problem occurs such as a major issue or bug in the OneUI build which results in the device or internal storage being rendered inaccessible which might need the internal storage formatted to fix the issue.

--Online storage push/soft requirement--
I understand why online storage is getting pushed as an alternative to the MicroSD card slot but there are many negatives to this solution. The main one being users in countries where you can't get much Mobile data to use because it isn't avaliable or that it is too expensive. Users might not be able to get broadband due to it being expensive, the avaliablity in the area or that they aren't allowed to get broadband for other reasons. By the looks of things, you can't pick your provider so you are forced to go with Microsoft's OneDrive if you can completely disable this intergration, great. I'm also assuming that the provider can't be changed to another provider who provides cloud services over a common standard which obviously makes issues when a user already has a pre-existing cloud solution or if they don't like Microsoft because of privacy or for other reasons.

--Allow the user to change maximum clock speed--
This one will be the most "yeah this isn't going to be addressed" topic within this but I'm still going to say it. These should be put in Developer Options or something similar. I don't understand why there isn't a stock samsung solution to change the clock speed of the CPU/GPU, while this is very niche, there should be a way for users to change their maximum clock speed to a lower value than the pre-existing limit for saving much more battery. I saw a recent video*6 from MrWhoseTheBoss (no affiliation or connection in anyway other than I watch his content) where he did a battery test with the S21U (Exynos) vs 2 other Samsung phones and 2 iPhones and the S21U achieved 8 Hours and 41 Minutes which is impressive but this is a brand new phone which if used for a few years won't achieve the same SoT but if a user could lower their maximum clock speed, they'd be able to get more SoT out of their battery today and in years time. It would be nice to be able to change this on a per app basis. Users shouldn't have to root for this.

--Move the Sensors Off quick settings tile--
With the latest Android 11 aiming to put a bit more power into the consumers when it comes to consumer privacy and moving the Sensors Off quick setting tile from the Developer Options menu (About Phone > Software Information > Tap build number 7 times > Main Menu > Developer Options > Quick settings developer tiles > Sensors Off) to the Quick Settings menu would help to give more privacy back to the user. The Sensors Off tile for those who don't know, once enabled, stops the Camera, Microphone and all sensors from working until disabled. 2G phone calls aren't affected for some reason. Once disabled, the camera, microphone and sensors work like normal. There should be a box you have to tick in order to use it such as "When you use this, the following features will be disabled until this tile is turned off" so the user isn't stuck in wondering why these isn't working.

--Move non Samsung apps away from /system/app // /system/priv-app--
This one speaks for itself. Why is Facebook, Facebook App Manager, Facebook Services, Chrome, Duo, Gmail, Onedrive, Google installed in those directories, especially Facebook's apps?
Please give the option for users to uninstall Bixby, Dex and other Windows intergrations and other apps which aren't required for OneUI to function or stay stable. Example being the AR apps, Knox apps, the ones listed above, YouTube and other google apps (not including Play Store/Services).

--Give the user the ability to modify hosts--

This one also explains itself. The user should be able to modify the hosts file for the purposes of blocking ads and malware domains.

--Doze improvements--

It would be nice to have an option for Doze to be enabled after 5 minutes of the screen being off rather than hours that it takes while the phone has to be motionless. It would be nice that within this mode, motion detection is also turned off to save more power.

--Uninstaller improvements--

Please make the uninstaller remove all residual files and directories assuming they weren't saved by the user.

--Statusbar additions--
Please add an icon to the statusbar so users can see the total network activity.
Please add an option for seconds to be added to the clock.

*1 = Violet is on the S21 and S21+.
*2 = Silver is on S21+ and S21U.
*3 = Silver is on S21+ and S21U
*4 = https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/meet-the-unprecedented-8k-video-with-galaxy-s20-pl...
*5 = Number from a 128GB S10+ on OneUI 3, It was 109.93GB total avaliable.

7 Replies
Eyayo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
You the first person to convince me with regards to the SD Card. Since samsung phones are also sold to countries that don't have adequate internet connection, users over there will find it difficult to use online storage
userU8Y7kDNnuK
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

You'd quickly run out of data to use and/or storage space within OneDrive assuming you are taking a lot of 8K24 video

FrS10
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21
Totally with you on the MicroSD and cloud storage comments!

I wish at least third party apps could be easily uninstalled/not system apps. The Google ones are probably contractual.
0 Likes
xJSEPixNote10x
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
:folded_hands:
0 Likes
usercEXXoV7ZRH
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I really liked the Galaxy Fold and was planning on getting it until I came to find out it it didn't have a microsd. that was a game changer for me. I got a S20 Ultra 5g.

Now, I see that Samsung S21 series does not have a microsd.

If Samsung does not bring back the microsd they are going to lose a customer as I will not buy another Samsung. I am sure I am not the only one.

The removal of the stress monitoring and pulse checker I was not thrilled about with the S20 and was a disappointment. it was a value add on keeping health aspects in check with previous Samsung phone I had.

I hope they bring those back too
Solution
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
You missed another important feature:

* Removed MST ... adoption of NFC by businesses for contactless payment is not happening as has been claimed in the past

I used my S10+ for contactless payment almost everywhere I shopped
0 Likes