JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 5G messenger text over wi-fi

(Topic created: 10-16-2021 02:56 PM)
JAH-CA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I moved to Xfinity from Verizon a couple months ago & upgraded from an S8 to S21 5G. I rely on wifi calling & texting to communicate from my house.

I had no problems with the S8 & Message+ (Verizon app, I believe) for texting over wifi, but the S21 with Xfinity came with Messenger pre-loaded so I use that & texting over wifi doesn't seem to work. If I don't have a bar or 2 of cell service, I can't send or receive & it says it's waiting for service. Can't seem to find a specific setting for text over wifi but do for call over wifi.

Any help will be appreciated.
9 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Does Messenger have Chat features (RCS)?  I think that needs to be enabled.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
hackednomore
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Don't see RCS
0 Likes
Robin621k
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Download Google Messages, it will work on wifi
Mayze
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Yup Google is the way to go. Go in your settings and turn on chat. You might be able to do the same in Samsung Messages
hackednomore
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Nope
0 Likes
hackednomore
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I seem to have the same problem with Google Fi with my S21 G5
0 Likes
MangoKiwi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Google messages has RCS. You have to enable it though. Also, I think it also depends on your carrier. You should check to see whether or not your carrier supports RCS.
0 Likes
Mayze
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
RCS 🤦🏿‍:male_sign:🤦🏿‍:male_sign:🤦🏿‍:male_sign:
0 Likes
Solution
MangoKiwi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
You need to have RCS. Google messages has this, but it also says that your carrier has to support RCS. Given that you're not using a major carrier, that may be the problem. You should look up if they even support RCS.