JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 Battery Life Draining Quickly

(Topic created: 01-30-2021 10:29 PM)
Hauti
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I've had my Galaxy S21 for 2 days, and the battery life is absolutely terrible. It barely makes it 8hrs, and for most of that time, I'm at work and not even using it. I lost 30% of battery life listening to 3 songs. I understand it learning etc but this is ridiculous. Every other Galaxy I've ever had has had great battery life, right out of the box. Is it defective? 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
70 Replies
invis52
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
3 hours SOT with s21 ultra 720p 120hz at 59%? this seems worse than expected, but when i don't touch the screen and i leave it on it lasts a lot longer until battery drops even with apps open this is where the 10hz saves battery
useryYxYhRNvr8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I have the Exynos version for 3 days so far and it overheats to the point where I cannot even touch it!

it has dropped 10% in 15 minutes of just texting on WhatsApp, no other apps were opened. keep I mind, my phone was on dark mode, power-saving mode, 60hz refresh rate and on low brightness.

It is incredibly upsetting because if I am paying for a high-end product I expect to be able to use the features that make it high end. I should not have to compromise and use night mode and a slower refresh rate.

overnight, I took off my wifi, Bluetooth, data, location etc. and it dropped 14%. it is unacceptable for a flagship to lose this amount of battery by just being on. nothing else. I am also unable to multi-task due to the overheating and the phone lags. Incredibly disappointed

today I used my phone for nothing but replying to a few messages and scrolling through Instagram for a few minutes but the battery has drained twice and overheated multiple times!

My J7 Prime 2 had a better battery performance than this and barely overheated.  This is embarrassing! 

useryYxYhRNvr8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

did it eventually stop overheating?

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for reaching out. This forum is for support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
TheTroutinator
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
factory reset ?
0 Likes
invis52
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
I was thinking of factory resting my phone unexpected battery drain only lasting 7 ish hours with screen on supposto be 10 to 11 hours of SOT
0 Likes
cj5neal
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
stop being obsessed with SOT, it's far too subjective. too many usage factors to compare SOT between users.
0 Likes
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Agreed (with @cj5neal)
Everyone's usage is different and so will be reflected in performance statistics.

Some folks only make phone calls, surf the web, text message
Some folks are into photography and videos.
Some folks are into gaming.

Each of those will result in different statistics.
0 Likes
invis52
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
yes but im just mostly on google or samsung internet it's lasting the same as my lg g8 that i just got rid of
0 Likes
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Something to keep in mind.

For the first week or so (2-3?), your phone will spend time learning your usage patterns.

After this period of time, battery usage will improve.

For me, I have a slightly different policy about initial phone settings. Where many folks "turn everything on", I do the opposite, I. e., I restrict many things for about 2-4 weeks.

I'm up from 6am to midnight almost everyday, using the phone as often as it makes sense (not overdoing it, mind you).

About midnight, I'm at about 20% now ... 3-4 days ago, I'd be charging around 8-9pm, so I'm seeing improvement already.

Today, I've reverted to "turn on everything" (almost everything :), like Adaptive motion and Adaptive Brightness, background activity for some apps.

So I'll take another slight hit in battery usage for an couple days, but it will improve.

Here's how to think about it. when you buy a new car, you should "take it easy" for the initial 1,000-5,000 miles for a proper "break in period".

However flawed my methods seem, it works for me with a positive outcome.