Original topic:

S21 Battery

(Topic created: 03-13-2021 07:12 AM)
user8lB7F0xAFv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I upgraded from Note 9 to S21, since I rarely used the S-Pen and since I thought it would be nice to have 5G service. After the first 2 days, I almost returned it, since the battery drain seemed to be 2X more that my Note 9. 

The final solution was two fold... (1) went in to settings and turned if background services on EVERY application that was not essential, excluding  Email, LinkedIn, etc. and (2) went in to settings and told every app to close when not in use.

Prior to doing thus the phone ran hot during "normal use" and after the wireless carrier and Samsung support suggested running it for 2 days without 5G. My response to them was "seriously, you want me to turn off the 5G functionality that was the reason I bought the S21.

By limiting  background services and closing applications when not in use,, my battery life is acceptable, but many believe the 5G radio draws more power than 4G, but that is yet to be confirmed.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

hello @user8lB7F0xAFv 

as @CalderCay has mentioned, 5G does use more battery and it is a known fact. Many reasons why, but for most people it is the fact that if you live in an area that does not offer full 5G coverage, the phone is constantly looking for a 5G signal that does not exist, or is spotty. The phone will always connect to a 5G signal even if there is a 4G/LTE signal that is stronger and better. So the constant searching for 5G and connecting to signals that are not the best cause the battery to drain quickly. It's just the way things are right now until the major cell phone carriers get their 5G coverage nationwide. But the phone is "future" proof as it will be already able to connect to those 5G towers when cell carriers upgrade their networks.

Also, when you first get a new phone, the battery will drain quickly the first few days, even up to a week because you're downloading new apps to your phone, it has to do all the app updates, and sometimes that takes a couple days even if you manually check for app updates after setting up your phone, there will always be more, lol. Also, if you have adaptive battery, the phone is learning your usage habits and will not restrict things until it learns from your usage. So, it starts getting better after about a week, and then more so as you use your phone. 

I have a Note 20 Ultra and the smaller S21 (which I'm primarily using now) and the battery on the S21 does not last as long as my Note, BUT my Note had a slightly larger battery (4500 vs 4000) and I just started using the S21 for about a week. I remember when I first got my Note, I had to charge it mid day and I thought the battery life was horrible. But eventually the phone learned my usage and I could go a whole day and still have 20-30% battery life when I went to bed, so it got better the longer I used it. 

*if I have helped you, please LIKE this post. If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a SOLUTION. Hope you have a great day!

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
It's a well known *fact* that the 5g radio uses more battery, and yes, some phones will feel warmer because of that.

Want verification? Google:
does 5g radio use more battery
... and you'll see countless articles about this
0 Likes
user8lB7F0xAFv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
clearly, you did not read my post...out of the box, every application was open and running background services. I took two drastic steps (1) closing applications when not in uses and (2) stopped background services on most applications (not OS services) and overheating and battery drain was dramatically reduced.
0 Likes
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
I did read ...

My comment was mostly directed to your statement that support suggested running the phone for a couple days without 5g.

But yea, I understand about disabling unused apps and background services. I'm proactive about that too.

One thing folks may not realize (for those lurking) is a phone "learns" about usage when it is first powered up and used over the first couple of weeks. It is during that time that folks stress over a warm phone or battery life ... but they don't realize, that will change once the phone "settles in" and adjusts itself to usage patterns.

But yea, apologies if I focused on the 5g part and neglected the app maintenance piece : )
0 Likes
Solution
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

hello @user8lB7F0xAFv 

as @CalderCay has mentioned, 5G does use more battery and it is a known fact. Many reasons why, but for most people it is the fact that if you live in an area that does not offer full 5G coverage, the phone is constantly looking for a 5G signal that does not exist, or is spotty. The phone will always connect to a 5G signal even if there is a 4G/LTE signal that is stronger and better. So the constant searching for 5G and connecting to signals that are not the best cause the battery to drain quickly. It's just the way things are right now until the major cell phone carriers get their 5G coverage nationwide. But the phone is "future" proof as it will be already able to connect to those 5G towers when cell carriers upgrade their networks.

Also, when you first get a new phone, the battery will drain quickly the first few days, even up to a week because you're downloading new apps to your phone, it has to do all the app updates, and sometimes that takes a couple days even if you manually check for app updates after setting up your phone, there will always be more, lol. Also, if you have adaptive battery, the phone is learning your usage habits and will not restrict things until it learns from your usage. So, it starts getting better after about a week, and then more so as you use your phone. 

I have a Note 20 Ultra and the smaller S21 (which I'm primarily using now) and the battery on the S21 does not last as long as my Note, BUT my Note had a slightly larger battery (4500 vs 4000) and I just started using the S21 for about a week. I remember when I first got my Note, I had to charge it mid day and I thought the battery life was horrible. But eventually the phone learned my usage and I could go a whole day and still have 20-30% battery life when I went to bed, so it got better the longer I used it. 

*if I have helped you, please LIKE this post. If I have helped solve your problem, please mark this as a SOLUTION. Hope you have a great day!

View solution in context

0 Likes
userO1TN4tyO91
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
it's an adaptive battery. it took my device a week or 2 to know my habits, then recommended adjustment s to save battery.
0 Likes