Original topic:

S21 Bixby Routine, Always on Display and Power Saving Not Interacting correctly

(Topic created on: 4/25/21 11:21 AM)
Gr8MightyDaddy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Hi All,

I have a unique first world problem that is just annoying enough that I think this is a software bug.

Allow me to drone on about something so insignificant that you will regret reading this to the end.  If you do make it to the end and can help, that would be great.

I am enjoying my new S21.  In order to make things a little easier I bought a no frills Qi charging stand from Amazon.  I put this charger on my night stand and at night the S21 sits in the stand charging overnight while I slumber.

I do not use Always on Display throughout the course of my day.  However, using a Bixby Routine, I have it set so that if the S21 detects charging, either via USB or Qi, that the phone will turn on the Always on Display.  This way, the S21 serves as my alarm clock throughout the night should I want to see the time.  When the S21 leaves the charger, the Bixby routine disables Always on Display.

I recently added a second Bixby routine.  This routine looks for 2 conditions.  First the battery has to be below 35% and the S21 is not charging.  When this occurs, it enables the S21 power saver function.  Power Saver does a few things.  It lessens the display brightness. It cuts the CPU performance to 70% and it disables Always on Display.  Again, I do not use Always on Display throughout the day.

The issue I am running into is that if my S21 falls below 35% battery.  Let's use 19% battery.  That's a low number.   And then I put the S21 into the charger, the Always on Display will not enable.

To my reasoning, I would think that the second Bixby routine would determine, "Hey, I am charging now."  So it would reverse the Power Saver mechanism taking the S21 out of Power Saver mode and thus allowing Always on Display to function again.  Then I would think the first Bixby routine would say "Hey, I am charging."  and then Turn on the Always on Display.

This does not happen.  The Always on Display remains off.

So to recap, with both Bixby routines enabled, if the S21 goes into the charger under 35% batter, no Always on Display.  If the S21 goes into the charger and the battery is over 35%, Always on Display works as intended.

Just some tinkering on my part.  If you look at the Power Saver settings in the S21, there are sliders where you can control what Power Saver mode can affect. There is a  toggle for Always on Display.  If I disable Always on Display from Power Saver mode, meaning that Power Saver cannot tamper with Always on Display, then both Bixby routines appear to work together in harmony allowing the Always on Display to activate even when the S21 is under 35% battery when it goes into the charger.

Not being an expert in anything, I do feel this may be a software bug or at least an interaction that is not working properly.  Or maybe these Bixby routines just do not play well together because of what I am attempting to accomplish.

I did call Samsung Care + so as to at least justify the monthly service fee I am paying.  The Samsung Care+ in addition to primarily replacing/repairing damaged devices also covers 24/7 tech questions on using the device.  The young lady I spoke to though courteous and polite and understanding my plight probably also wondered why I wasted her time calling about something so inane as what I described above.

When I fired this same scenario at Samsung's official Twitter Support account, they asked me to Direct Message them with more detail.  After typing a more concise description of this scenario, I think they dropped back and punted and recommended I dump it on the Community forum.

So here I am, typing a first world issue that really doesn't matter while I finish a cup of Aldi brand Decaf coffee.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Thank you.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21

i think there can be so much possibilities with bixby routines.. so eventually some of the routines will conflict with each other i feel like.. submit an error report via samsung members if you think its a software bug though 

0 Likes
Gr8MightyDaddy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Hey there.

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen Samsung Members.  What is that? Is that a way to report issues to Samsung?

Honestly not sure what that service or group does.

Again, appreciate your feedback.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

i just tried your routines and they're working as intended.. do you have any other routines enabled? 

0 Likes