Original topic:

S21 Ultra Camera Over-Saturating (Aug 2022)

(Topic created: 08-10-2022 03:41 PM)
IslandBoy77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I purchased a very nice S21 Ultra second hand a month ago. At first, my pictures looked good, especially those of sunrises and sunsets. But about 10 days ago, suddenly the saturation of sunsets and sunrises "went mad", totally ruining all my photos after a certain time at night or before a certain time in the morning.

What I mean to say is that as light levels fall at night while photographing a sunset, as the colours get to that really rich, vibrant stage, suddenly the phone's cameras - all of them - started blowing out the colours like mad. I've been able to "rescue" the photos to some extent by editing them, but they all still ended up with this residual "nub" of blown-out colour where the sunset was most intense (bearing in mind that by that stage the sun is well below the horizon). Lighting at the time can be described as "Still light enough to read a large-print book, but not easily".

The same happens with sunrises, although obviously I start with less light and transition to more. However, once again, at the "peak colour" of each sunrise, the colours just get crazily over-saturated.

What I find very interesting is that the moment after I take a photo, I briefly see the picture preview before it gets "processed". The unprocessed view is perfect, so that means this is a software issue. Turning off HDR or Scene Enhancer makes no difference. The problem only happens in lower light where colours are intense or there's a significant light contrast happening.

My first week of photos were so good, and seeing them now "degraded" and ruined by whatever's causing this issue is a right pain, as sunsets and sunrises make up 10-20% of all my photos. Any thoughts or ideas? Now that the phone is over a year old, I'm surprised to see this issue lingering on. I may yet try reverting to an earlier version of the camera software to see if that helps 🤔

0 Likes
5 Replies
TacoMaster63
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Samsung tends to over saturate their photos in most cases, but it's pretty close to perfect.

I recommend opening the camera app, pressing settings, and reseting the camera settings.
0 Likes
IslandBoy77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking about that, and after having read through a number of detailed posts by others on various platforms about Samsung's tendency to over-do things on the colour front, I realize it might be something I have to put up with if I want to stay with the Samsung brand.

My S21 is definitely a big step up from my A8+, and it's great being able to finally do night photography after a long, long hiatus, but some of the idiosyncrasies and compromises of the S21 cameras and software do leave something to be desired, especially given how expensive the phone was when released.

Still, when I compare the photos I get with my S21 to those from even my first 3MP digital camera, I'm "ahead", ha ha. Even my nice Fuji S200 FinePix 10MP camera with 30x optical zoom doesn't take as good pictures as my S21, although it's optical zoom gives a nicer picture than even the S21's 10x.

I know phones aren't supposed to supplant "proper" cameras. But since I always have my phone in my pocket, and hate lugging about my "real" camera, I guess I've come to the point of accepting the trade off. Just a pity there are still so many "gotchas" with phone cameras, even in 2021/22...

0 Likes
IslandBoy77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I tried the settings reset as you suggested, but it made no difference unfortunately. Interestingly, if I do a photo-grab while videoing something, the effect doesn't show up. I've attached two photos. One to show the over-saturation, the other showing the same scene, a minute or 2 later, photo-grabbed from a video I shot. I realize the grab from the video has no foreground detail, but even when I tried to create the same photo using other settings, the sky still ended up with the "burned" blob in the middle.OverSaturated.jpgNormal.jpg

0 Likes
Chessplayr
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Try turning off scene optimization. Ik it's a pain but I find it can help when my phone oversaturates (something it's been prone to after OneUI 4)
0 Likes
IslandBoy77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for that. Yes, I tried that. It made no difference

0 Likes