Original topic:

S21 Ultra. Less features. Does not worth the price

(Topic created on: 3/4/21 4:34 AM)
anUnknownUser
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
I bought an S21 Ultra from Samsung website and read carefully all the new stuff they shown for this product. As a flagship product, it is expected to have the same basic features than previous models of the same S line plus improvements and new features, but once I got it I noticed this flagship phone has less features than my last phone, S8+.

It does not have audio port to connect an standard audio jack. That means if my wireless earbuds run out of battery while I am in office, I will be .... you know. This functionality is so required. Why was it removed?

I am an owl person and usually stay awake 'til 2am watching TV series on my phone while am in bed. To listen to these videos I use my wireless earbuds because they are convenient and do not disturb the sleep of other persons in my home starting for my wife and 2 months old baby who slept with us in the room. But it happens to me at least twice every week that my earbuds battery dies at midnight or 1am. So, when that happens I switch to the old trust wired earbud. Now, with this super star flagship I am basically screw. Next time it happens, I will need to stop using the phone. I am really very angry with this and am thinking to sell this 1 week old phone on eBay.

It does not have SD card slot. The main functionality and the main reason I jump from iPhone to Android it was because I can have access to the filesystem. I am old school and want to keep my stuff with me, not online consuming hundreds of gigabytes from my data plan while I am on the road. I bought it from the Samsung website and there is no indication of the absence of this key feature which is expected to be present in any modern phone.

So, I have my SD card with 256GB and bought the S21 Ultra with less capacity (128Gb). Now. I am stuck with a phone with less storage capacity than my previous phone, S8+, where I had a combined capacity of 320GB.

No power adapter, only a cable to be connected to what? To a computer? Do you expect from me to keep my laptop turned on 24/7 ?

It does not have heart beat sensor like the S8+. Do you expect from me to buy your smartwatch? I am not rich. I do not use watch anymore and when use one, I use my 3 years battery long Casio. Not a watch that I need to recharge from time to time or on daily basis.

The OS has an issue when you enable the slider to control the screen bright to be over the notifications. It gets stuck over any app once you use it.

The radio chip was removed years ago. I would like to have it again. In fact, I still keep my S3 mini because it has radio functionality.

So Samsung, what is next? Are you going to remove the internal speaker with the excuse everybody use wireless earbuds?

I will keep this phone. But be sure Samsung that in 3 years or less if I tire of this featureless phone, I will jump to another brand. Having 3 lenses is super nice but at the expense of not having the features mentioned above is not.

This phone does not worth $1,199.
7 Replies
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Did you read ANY reviews of the S21 line of phones? Before ANY sort of purchase, you should do extensive research.

As far as your wired earbuds, buy the Samsung USB-C to headphone jack adapter - I bought one for my wife and I from a local electronics store for about $10 usd.

You missed the lack of MST : )

I understand what you're saying here, but if you had known about the lack of features BEFORE (i.e. the research) , you could have picked an A71 or S10+ or Note 10
anUnknownUser
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Well, yes. I researched on the official website of Samsung. I did not check if the phone had those missing features because they are so basic. It is like checking if the phone includes speaker.

But yeah. Lesson learned. Next time I will not trust official information coming from Samsung and will check with third parties on Youtube.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

a) The audio port has been missing since the Note 10 series, this is nothing new and is like this from MOST manufacturers from 2019 on.

b) What YOU expect to be present is nothing of their concern, again the Note 20 phone ditched the SD card (unless you bought the ultra) so a tiny bit of research would have been all you needed.  The fact that they don't list this as not being there is laughable.  They also dont list that it does not have a pencil sharpener, or a site to site transporter.  No manufacturer in the world is going to list what they DONT have.

c) While I do not support their decision, they are not expecting you to use your laptop to charge your phone, they are assuming that you have a previous Samsung device, that you can use the charger from.  and in your case, they are right.  You can use the charger, and cable from your S8+ to charge your S21 Ultra.

d) The radio chip "that was removed years ago", is still present in the S21, S21+, and S21 Ultra.

anUnknownUser
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
I am not sure of the Note series. I have never had one. But I disagree with you because I am the customer, and I expect to have the same standard/basic features that previos phones have. Again, SD ans audio ports are the most basic features any modern phone must include. When you buy something, you checked the info of the manufacturer NOT spend endless hours checking reviews on Youtube to see if the phone includes SD, audio port, and or heart beat sensor, or power adapter, or even an internal speaker. THAT is laughable and non sense. Is like checking if the manufacturer is including the battery.

I was expecting not to have a power adapter, disagree that decision but that was something I already knew because Samsung made a disclaimer months ago. So yes, manufacturers announce important changes when they ditch a basic feature.

About the assumption that I already have a power adapter, that is wrong. Following that line of thought and they will assume we already have a data cable so it can be ditched too. And hey, why not ditch the internal speaker? Everybody uses wireless earbuds. That is wrong.

And sorry to inform you but the S21 Ultra does not have radio chip. There is no FM tuner app and have tried to use other apps (old because this chip was ditched before the S8) and it does not work.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

I am also a customer.  I am not paid in any way by Samsung.  Again, your statement is WRONG.  There aren't many devices that are manufactured in 2021 with BOTH an SD card and a 3.5mm headphone jack.  For a "most basic" feature, it sure is hard to find, huh?  If it they are a must, perhaps you should have researched if it had these before purchase.  It would have taken moments to research, the specs are listed right there on the Samsung website.  A battery IS a requirement of the device, and IS listed in the specs.

It is not my assumption that you already have a power adapter, it is Samsung's, and, again, they were RIGHT in your case, as YOU DO HAVE ONE from your S8+.  Again I stated that I do not agree with this, but, again, it was not MY decision.  If you did not have one, they are happy to sell you one for $15 (the same price as the USB to Audio jack adapter BTW).

GSM Arena states that it does have the FM radio chip, as it likely does, but is likely not enabled for use, try installing a modern app to listen to it, like Next Radio, if it says you dont have in enabled then you may be right here, though the hardware IS there (and I enjoyed it on my S8+ by the way).  Not having an app, or an older app not detecting it does not mean "the chip was ditched".

0 Likes
anUnknownUser
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Yep, I researched more yesterday about the topic of the FM chip, and yes it is present but is disabled because Samsung tries to charge some fee to the operator but the operator has the freedom to refuse to pay it, so Samsung disables the feature. But the customers are still charged by the research, design, manufacture, and installation of that chip in the phone.

I found also the solution about NextRadio but the app says my FM is disabled and I need to ask my operator to disable it. I was reading that I can do thag but need to pay a fee, when I already pay for that chip be phisically in my phone. Samsung is making bad decisions.
0 Likes
Ryche316
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
for all the reasons listed is why I did not upgrade to the S21. It is very disappointing the poor decisions Samsung is making