Original topic:

S21 Ultra. Unlocked vs Carrier specific Pros and Cons?

(Topic created on: 4/13/21 11:20 PM)
userCsu6qSzZzI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

S21 Ultra. Can you tell me the pros and cons for choosing the unlocked vs the at&t version? Why would anyone opt for a specific carrier when an unlocked version is available?

10 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
Are you thinking about switching carriers while you have it? Idk about at&t but I'm on tmobile and my carrier specific phone comes with an app that can unlock my phone anytime i want to then i could stick any other carriers sim card in and it will work and they do it free of charge I've heard some other carriers might charge you a small fee to unlock a phone so avoiding that small fee is basically the only pro but on the con side is unlocked phones usually have issues with certain carrier network features for example i know that at&t will not allow all the features of the unlocked phone to work for example you can't use wifi calling with an unlocked which is a big feature honestly unless you travel abroad and need to be able to use different sim cards then there's no reason to buy the unlocked version your really only asking for trouble with one and at&t claimed they couldn't do anything about it because it's unlocked
0 Likes
Lask69
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
I wish it was that easy to unlock the phone.. Use the app and bingo.. You're unlocked!!
0 Likes
user7okXkEjZxT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Do you know how unlocked S21 ultra works with T-Mobile?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21
Or think about it like this
A carrier version can be unlocked

But an unlocked one can't become a carrier version
Options
Galaxy S21
It also does not raise the resale value at all as you would think it would if anything it decreases it for whatever reason i assume because there's not as much demand for them also if your having issues with the phone your carrier can't really help you but i do know at&t also has a network unlock app preloaded on their phones as well I'm not sure if it's free or not to unlock it with at&t it probably is but you should check with them to make sure
0 Likes
raejr78
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Here is another option. I have a carrier version (Verizon) that has been flashed with the U1 unlocked firmware. I do this right out of the box. This can easily be done using a patched Odin found via XDA Developers. The advantage to this is a bloat free firmware and if you need to have it serviced or need to return it, you can simply flash it back to the original carrier firmware. The reasons I do this is for an un-bloated experience and the way in which Hiya is "baked into" the phone app.

0 Likes
peotoss
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have a unlocked s21 ultra U1 directly from Samsung. After flashing, we're you still able to make HD calls? It never shows up when I'm calling people and when I use to have it on other Samsungs from the carrier I never had a problem.  Check Pic out below, if yours works, qhat did you  do?

HD Calling Indicator 

0 Likes
raejr78
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Mine does not show an HD Calling Indicator. TBH, I'm usually on a WiFi network at work or at home. I'm only on a network when I'm driving to and from work or out and about. IDK if there is supposed to be an HD Calling Indicator on the U1 firmware. I'll do some digging around and see what I can come up with. Any information I gain, I'll gladly share.

0 Likes
green5178
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21

I just bought an unlocked phone vs the ATT version.

this is what i noticed.

1.  No longer can check voicemail from the phone dialer by clicking on dedicated button on the dialer--but there is a voicemail app or I can hit the 1 button on dialer so not deal breaker

2.  no ability to use advanced messaging

3.  no video calls through att

4.  The below link has errors though-- i can use wifi calling even though it doesnt show it.  I also know for some reason my niece who is also on att does not have wifi calling or mobile hotspot even though i do on my unlocked phone.

see below link from att showing what features are available on unlocked phones.

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/pdf/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network...

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

0 Likes