Original topic:

S21 Ultra and Blank/Black Screen

(Topic created: 08-28-2021 09:46 AM)
TMan58
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Would just like to tell my tale of my S21 Ultra and the blank/black screen. Purchased in January. On 8/26/21 at 8am, I updated the software. Below are my specs.

Last Successful Update
August 26, 2021 at 8:08 AM

Software update information
Version: G998USQU4AUGQ / G998UOYN4AUGQ / G998USQU4AUGQ
Size: 1219.70 MB
Security patch level: August 1, 2021

Internal storage 
68% used 
87.70 GB of 128 GB

It worked fine for about 3hrs. Always On Display was working. Receiving, sending texts. Making, taking phone calls. Taking notes with the stylus. Then, somewhere around 11am, the screen went blank and would not wake up no mater what I did. I could hear text messages coming in. I could answer phone calls because I new where to swipe. But because I only use a pin number to unlock the phone I was not quite sure where those numbers were.
Tried factory reset, holding the power button and volume down. Charged it and tried again. Nothing. Dex didn't work connecting to a computer. I found someone suggested using a monitor might work. When I got home, I plugged it into a hdmi port on the TV and the screen showed the time and was locked. Touching the screen and power button would not show the unlock screen. So, leaving it connected to the monitor, I did a factory reset. And then when the phone came back and I touched the screen and it came alive, but not responsive. So I unplugged it from the monitor and did another factory reset and now the phone is back to normal... I'm very happy I didn't need a new screen...

Coming from a Note 8 to the S21 Ultra I've had mixed feelings.

Miss the SD card, still haven't figured out how to listen to my saved music that is not on the device. Miss the silo for the stylus... But I am a lefty and the case with the stylus stored on the left side is ok.

It is a great phone and I love the cameras, 10x zoom and the 100x spy, "Moon", camera.

Hope this helps someone.
5 Replies
TMan58
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
T-Mobile is my carrier...
0 Likes
Rskyline
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
I would start contacting Samsung to see if you can get the phone serviced. Is not normal to lose the display like that and it might come back.
0 Likes
TMan58
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm hoping it was a fluke. I was beside myself. But it is fine now, and I'm happy I don't need to replace the screen. But if it happens again then, yeah, I will definitely get a hold of them.
0 Likes
Madcaphippie
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Same exact thing happened to me on 8/23.. I even took to Tmobile and the representative tried to get it to work. He then said it was a manufacturer flaw and Samsung should replace it. I brought it home hooked it up to the TV via ubs port..saw the screen with time and lock symbol.. I unplugged it took the Sim card out and bam phone came back....
TMan58
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Interesting.... TMobile also...
0 Likes