Original topic:

S21 Ultra in Pro Mode, with RAW enabled and MANUAL focus issues

(Topic created on: 3/10/21 8:56 AM)
RocketRolla
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

For some reason when I tried and shoot in pro mode on my 21 Ultra... set to RAW and in MANUAL focus (and refocused with the slider), I get very strange blurring on various edges of the photo. If I turn focus to AUTO, it doesn't do this.

This is more than just a miss focus issue, I'm seeing what almost appears to be double-image type of missed focus. Has anyone else tried this or had this experience? It appears to be a bug to me.

Pro Mode - RAW active - Manual FocusPro Mode - RAW active - Manual FocusPro Mode - RAW active - Auto FocusPro Mode - RAW active - Auto Focus

0 Likes
16 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21

don't you have to move the slider to focus for manual focus? 

0 Likes
RocketRolla
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Yes. You do have to slide the focus adjustment and that was done. If you look at the images in the post, both were taken exactly the same way, one manually focused (until sharp on screen) and one with auto focus. That was the only difference. Oddly, I have noticed with more light, it's less frequent. 

I used to shoot professionally,  so I feel this is well within my abilities to take sharp pictures. Something is going wrong here and it's not a user error. 

0 Likes
RocketRolla
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Here's another photo I just took. Everything is focused before the shot. It doesn't look like a focusing issue as the blur doesn't look like a typical out of focus blur.

20210310_143516.jpg

0 Likes
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
I just tested for this issue on my Ultra and don't see it.

Just so I understand ...
You see the shot focused correctly in real time, but when you view the resulting image, it has this "blurring"?
0 Likes
RocketRolla
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Yeah @CalderCay ... so what I do is go to Pro mode, then I make sure RAW is enabled, then I set my ISO, my shutter speed, and MANUALLY focus. When I do, I get the blur. HOWEVER... for whatever reason, I went outside earlier and tried and it didn't do this. It's got to be a software bug because the hardware works fine... if I put the phone back into autofocus, it doesn't show the photos being blurry any longer. I just can't figure it out.

0 Likes
RocketRolla
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

...and yes @CalderCay it looks fine on screen... I only see the blurring AFTER I look at the images. The JPG and RAW image both come out looking this way.

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@RocketRolla 

So, I just tried manual focus for the first time and once I understood the highlighting of the image that should be focused it worked.  

Are you getting the in-focus highlighting?  My eyes aren't good enough to MF without using the highlight.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
RocketRolla
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

@bill-e  it's not a manual mis-focusing issue. If you look at the images, the blur is very strange. It looks like a warp-blur. Focus is definitely accurate when I set it. Looks great on screen but after the shot, looks like the above. Again though... if I turn on Auto focus, the issue doesn't happen. Or if I turn off RAW, and THEN manual focus, the issue doesn't happen. See my issue here? It's just not adding up. That's why it feels like a bug to me. But I'm not sure why you all can't duplicate.

0 Likes
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Okay, I think I can recreate this. I'm sitting in the Jeep waiting to feed the horses and I thought I'd give it another test.

I'm focused on the door, which is in focus, but everything around the perimeter is all blurry, especially along the top 1/3 of the image
... I don't think that's bokeh

clipboard_image_1615416591210_1615416591210.jpg