Original topic:

S21 Ultra why are there only two cameras active in Pro Mode?

(Topic created on: 2/14/21 9:24 AM)
Cubus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

The quality of shots in Photo mode, especially of people, is a grainy mess. The overprocessing is horrible. 

One way around is to shoot in Pro but there are only 2 back cameras that are active in this mode. Zooming outside of these two is just digital. Why?
11 Replies
Darkhorse41
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I have the S21+ and the photo quality is horrible compared to the S10+ I had. I can shoot a 64MP photo but only in 3:4 ratio mode as soon as I switch to anything else it drops back to default quality. it doesn't really matter at this point because any mode I use is grainy and or blurry. I hope they get this fixed or I'd like my money and my S10+ back.
Cubus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Yes, agree. My S9+ had by far a better camera.
The only advantage S21 ultra has is in macro and still night shots.

I hope that this is a software issue as this performance level is unacceptable.
Cubus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
See what the issue is. 

Picture of my son, completely motionless, taken in great light from 3 ft away. 

Patriot1776JG
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
maybe try camera resolution. Open camera on top look for icon 4th for left, tap it, & set to 3.4 64 MP. This is the highest resolution level, or try using the zoom. Making sure icon 4th from left is on full. then on bottom middle is 3 leaf looking icons, tap that this adjust your zoom
0 Likes
Cubus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
this was shot on 3:4 aspect ratio. I tried the 108 MP and the result is the same.
I also made sure I don't have digital zoom of any kind and this shot was native 1.0x (double leaf).
What I don't understand are two things:
1. I see in the live preview all the detail, everything is super sharp. It's not a mirrored camera, therefore, the detail I see on the screen, is what the sensor sees. Yet, the image when it's processed during saving, creates this grainy result. I tried both jpeg and heif.
2. In Pro mode, especially RAW things are a bit better. My conclusion was to just shoot in Pro mode but in there, the phone uses only 2 out of 4 cameras. All the zooming outside of that is digital, which of course distorts image.
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Yea, I'm seeing random good and bad photos ... let me find the other thread ...

EDIT: here it is
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/s21-Ultra-camera-issues/td-p/1702019
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

That doesn't look like blur or focus, it looks like processing artifacts.  Was that taken in Portrait and is that a crop.  His shirt looks reasonable for a crop.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
Cubus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
It was taken in normal Photo mode, scene optimizer off.
it's not a crop either, I did just take a screenshot of the picture to remove any location Metadata.
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Just for the heck of it I just snapped some using the regular photo mode using the 1x and 3x lens.  It all looks good to me.

1x, f2.4, iso 640, 1/30 full frame1x, f2.4, iso 640, 1/30 full frame3x, f2.4, iso 100, 1/29. full frame3x, f2.4, iso 100, 1/29. full frame

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes