JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 fast wireless charging problem

(Topic created: 03-13-2021 09:26 AM)
Ayzw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

So after a quick google search it appears my s21 ultra will not fast wireless charge using a non Samsung charger like the big that was reported with the s20. It'll start fast charging when first put on the pad and after 5 or so seconds it reverts back to normal wireless charging. Anyone else have this issue? I have uploaded a video and my logs using Samsung members but yet to have a response on that yet. 

81 Replies
coolkatt
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Why Samsung have you not fixed this. It seems all the new S20-S21 normal and Ultra phones have issues fast wireless charging. It will fast wireless charge for five seconds then automatically switch to normal wireless charging. This is incredibly annoying, I buy an Ultra 1200 dollar phone and it will not fast charge. This wireless charger will fast charge my brothers Note 9, it also worked on my S9+ but my phone will only fast wireless charge for five seconds then stop and switch to normal charging. 

I was told by Samsung they were unaware of this. The rep said it should be fixed in the next update. Well I updated today and the issue persists. I will have to return this phone if I can not fast wireless charge my phone. I am not using a Samsung branded charger nor should I have to.

user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
You updated today? Could you post a screenshot of your Update screen - curious to see what the ID tag is.

Which charger do you have?

My wife and I got the tri-charger and it fast charges her phone, her watch, and my phone simultaneously, no issues.
0 Likes
coolkatt
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Like I said in the post I do not own a Samsung brand charger. I  am using a Ubiolab Costco wireless charger. It charged all my past devices with fast wireless but a patch released by Samsung has stopped this from working.

0 Likes
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
I realize that ... that's why I asked "which charger"?
0 Likes
coolkatt
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

I assumed that the brand would not make a difference. You had mentioned it was working with your Samsung brand charger, this is a report I have heard from multiple users. Many people are assuming that they did this to only allow their chargers to work correctly and disable non branded chargers.   When I spoke to a rep at Samsung they claimed this was not the case. "I am sure it will be fixed on the next update."Screenshot_20210312-132534_Software update.jpg

0 Likes
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@coolkatt it shouldn't matter which charger you're using, but it does. For now, the fast wireless charging only works with Samsung branded wireless chargers. I have 2 Samsung wireless chargers and 1 Ubiolabs wirelss charger and I get fast wireless charging from both my Samsung wireless chargers, but just get regular wireless charging with the Ubiolabs charger with both my Note 20 Ultra and my S21. I got the Ubiolabs charger for my husbands phone and he doesn't care about fast charging so it's fine for him.

I'm wondering if I got an Anker wireless charger if the fast wireless charging would work but didn't want to spend even more money to check for another wireless charger that I really don't need. If you want to get an off brand wireless charger, make sure you read reviews before purchasing as many customers will tell you whether or not their fast charging worked or not. 

coolkatt
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

This is what is irritating me. If this is the policy they have decided to implement then they should make that clear. The rep's I spoke to said that this was not the case and that it was an unintended bug. I buy Samsung because they in the past did not engage in money grubbing tactics of Apple but these days more and more they are doing every shady tactic that Apple implements. A lot of reviews are not helpful because this issue reportedly was not always a problem and only started after the February update. It was apparently working normally until that point.

Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm not sure if it is an unintended bug or not, but it only seems to affect off brand wireless chargers...so to me that sounds strange. But hopefully they will fix it? the only reason I have Samsung wireless chargers is because I used promotional credits from phone preorders to buy them. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have any wireless chargers because wired charging is faster anyway and I don't care about plugging in my phone. They definitely should make their wireless chargers more affordable now, especially since they're not including charging bricks with their phones.

0 Likes
karenr
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
I have a Samsung wireless charge and it's not fast charging my phone
Mari_K
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello @karenr 

if you're using a Samsung wireless charger that is capable of fast charging, make sure you're using the official Samsung fast charge brick. If you're not using an official Samsung fast charging brick (will have a thunderbolt and words fast charge on it) then the wireless charger will only charge at regular speeds. If all the above is correct and you're using a Samsung fast charge brick, cable and a Samsung wireless charger, then make sure you have fast charging turned on in your battery settings... Settings-battery and device care-battery-more battery settings and then under charging, make sure the fast wireless charging is toggled on.