JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Safe to use a third-party charger?

(Topic created: 02-12-2021 08:26 PM)
userFImXRkJcm5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I have a new S21 Ultra and have a question about charging.  I have an extra Dell XPS 9300 USB-C 45 watt charger and I'm wondering if i can safely use it to charge the S21.  Output specs of charger are:

Output current (continuous) 2.25 A Rated output voltage 20 VDC.  Can anyone help me?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

I would not.  My 25w Samsung super fast charger maxes out at 11v with normal charging at 9.3v.  I'm not sure what the 20v output of that charger will have on the phone and is not worth it considering that Samsung sells the 25w travel charger for under $20.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)

View solution in context

15 Replies
Solution
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

I would not.  My 25w Samsung super fast charger maxes out at 11v with normal charging at 9.3v.  I'm not sure what the 20v output of that charger will have on the phone and is not worth it considering that Samsung sells the 25w travel charger for under $20.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)

View solution in context

Johnlumo
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
if the charger specifications says PD it should work just fine if not I wouldn't use it.
0 Likes
Munoz14
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Does the s21 ultra support 45w charger?
userkgLwmywsto
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Recently bought S21 Ultra, since my last phone's battery was basically dead. 

The question is whether super fast charging / fast charging harms the battery life or there's some new built-in optimization that makes sure that the heat does not harm the battery? I don't know, just making guesses.

I'm trying to take care of the battery as much as I can with the new phone.

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
yes
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

I used to believe that it did and certainly if the battery gets hot it still does but I did a bit of Google research when I got the phone because I wanted to use a wireless charger and every article I read claimed that there was no appreciable degradation of the battery.  Now with todays smarter battery charging circuits with variable voltage and charging standards for the chargers themselves, I'm hoping that the articles are right.

Bill
---
0 Likes
CalderCay
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Some folks claim, for extended battery life, charging should begin when phone gets to 20%, and stop charging when it gets to 90%.

My opinion is, if that were true, it was in the "old days" with different battery technology.

My wife and I have have Fast chargers and Super Fast chargers from Samsung. They were designed for the batteries installed in these phones. When the battery gets to 100%, the charging stops and switches to trickle charging ... so, your phone should not be overheating during a charge cycle.
0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21

keep your phone and take care of it
slow charge and always wired
0 Likes
useroGGUxpZhCJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I am praying someone here knows simple answers to simple questions i believe.

1. when you plug in different chargers does the phone tell you charging, fast charging and superfast charging? I ask this because i have older fast adaptive charger for my s8plus but when i plug it in to the s21 the phone says charging only and takes over 2 hrs. it does not say fast charging like my s8 did

2. I do know both the 25 and 45 wat charger they sell on the website are superfast chargers but would like to know the time difference between them on how long it would take to go from 0-100% not 0 to 50%

3. also would like to know the difference in  watts that make a slow charge and a fast charge since over 25 watts is superfast.

4. there is a usb c fast charging wall charger on the website i have been told contradicting info by many different reps at Samsung its 3 amp, 2amp,45 watt ,25 watt since it cant be all the mentioned does anyone actually know? the website says its 2amp but dont list  the watts, also i was told its superfast charging but the title says fast charging. so is it considered a superfast charger? and when i plug it in wil the phone say charging? fast charging? or superfast charging? and how long will it take to charge?

5. since the 25 watt charger don't come with a cable is there different usbc cables that can either speed up or slow down the charging times? 

please help i am not exaggerating i have spent over 4 hrs with Samsung and Verizon on this and  I just want to know what charges i should buy. I don't  think this is to much to ask