JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung needs to support WMA music files

(Topic created: 02-02-2022 03:01 PM)
Yamon234
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
Apparently Samsung doesn't support WMA music files. Since "upgrading" to my s21 ultra my alarms don't go off half the time anymore making me late for work. Come to find out when you have an alarm app set to randomly play music it can see but doesn't play WMA files. So the screen lights up but no music plays when a WMA file is randomly selected. This really is as simple as them adding the codec to the Android OS. Their solution they've posted is find a player that supports it. And while my music app Power Amp does. It's not an alarm app and I can't find an alarm app that supports its own codecs. Their current response is unacceptable for such an expensive product theyve cut so many features off of. I spent alot of money on a phone that can't function as an alarm the way I want it to. 
16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S21
Try the Google clock from the play store. That's what I use on my phone's and never had an issue. I don't know if it plays the files you mentioned though.
Yamon234
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
It can't play them either. All alarm apps I've found rely on the phones built in codecs to support audio playback. Thanks for the suggestion tho
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

What did you upgrade from?  With the exception of a few old Motorola phones, Android doesn't support WMA.  It's an Android thing not Samsung.

If you want Samsung to add the ability to play wma then you should sign into Samsung Members, go the the help section (headset icon) and request it there.

I converted all my WMA's to mp3 a decade ago and since only use mp3.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
Yamon234
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I upgraded from an s8. But according to posts made by Samsung representatives this feature was recently lost on phones shipping in 2021. I also have a s10 work phone on the same version of Android as my s21 that works perfectly still. So its not an android thing it's a Samsung thing. They removed the codec from the newest s21 line.
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Then it's an Android and Samsung thing 😉  If you research you'll see that WMA is not supported natively in Android since around Android 3.  I've just come back to Samsung after being away for quite a few years and like I said I had converted everything to mp3 for my Moto phones .

So Samsung must have offered it as a Samsung feature and as you've discovered now dropped it.

In any event, use Members to log your request.

Edit:  It'll be quicker to convert those wma's than waiting for the feature update.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
userUvFQkCgIHR
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Not correct

Other (3rd party software do support WMA) so it is Samsung's thing not android

https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/mobile-devices/what-to-do-when-limited-music-files-can-be-played-...

Besides Samsung music did support WMA on android only 2 years ago. it must be some issue with rights or similar. I would install it if I know how to prevent phone to not to update this specific app

https://www.sammobile.com/apk/samsung-music/samsung-music-16-2-17-19/

Solution
userhUS69voanw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

That link is from Samsung Singapore here is the link from Samsung US

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01213339/

A WMA file (Windows Media Audio) is used for listening to music in Windows Media Player on a PC computer. In the past, Galaxy phones supported WMA files, but now they do not.

If your Galaxy phone is a 2021 or later model, it will not support WMA files. However, you can still listen to these files by downloading a third-party app from the Google Play Store.

In Short, Samsung no longer supports WMA files to be used on their systems like assigning ringtones using the WMA

But if you use a 3rd party app like a VLC player it will just play that audio.

userMijJUDPPXX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

WMA doesn't work on my S20 FE either. Really annoying, as I've digitised all my CDs as .wma's GRRRRR!

userUvFQkCgIHR
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Wrong place to post it moved downward not to confuse other users

0 Likes