Original topic:

Stop pairing requests for items you don't own?

(Topic created: 07-21-2021 03:36 AM)
Irreverentideas
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
So, I just got an s21 ultra and lately there has been a recurring pairing request from a fitbit charge 4 that I don't own. The issue is, is that this request pops up and stops everything else on the phone.

I live in an apartment building, and suspect it is one of the neighbors, and I don't understand why they haven't paired it with their own device. If they have the fitbit must continue to sweep the area, which is very annoying.

There is a section under: Bluetooth -> advanced -> block pairing requests, but there's no way to interact with it.

Turnung Bluetooth off isn't a solution because I continually use 2+ devices throughout the day. So far, I've tried a Bluetooth firewall, and pairing with the device multiple times (so the owner realizes the pairing numbers are popping up). 
0 Likes
11 Replies
Scarecrow8311
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Have you tried going to the block pairing request when you first receive the request?
0 Likes
Irreverentideas
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Yeah, it actually happens frequently enough that it has shown up while I've been interacting with the "block pair request screen". It even happened 3 times while typing out this reply...
0 Likes
Scarecrow8311
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Oh wow. I'm still trying to figure out why it won't let it block the request. Could be passive aggressive and see if you could let it connect send them a message thru it some how to let them know.
0 Likes
Irreverentideas
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Yeah, with Bluetooth range continually improving, it is really strange that you can't just ignore a device. As for connecting, I can only get to the screen where it confirms the digits on their device, and they haven't noticed yet (or can't turn off the searching on their end). I will probably end up posting a note at the bottom of the stairs, but a technological solution would be best. I won't be the last person with this issue. Thanks for the reply, though!
0 Likes
Blue7
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21

does the pairing request pop up when there are no BT devices nearby though? like is this popping up at work or at home? or in public? I'm pretty sure this popped up when this was detected while the device was scanning for Bluetooth devices nearby

as far as "block pairing requests" not working as designed, i would submit an error report on members app > + button > error report

0 Likes
Irreverentideas
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Yeah, that's a good point. I probably will submit an error report because even if I am misunderstanding the blocked pair requests function, it needs a new name.

As to the locale, this only happens at home. The Bluetooth firewall allows for a scan of addresses nearby and it shows up along with all those that I own. I've now gone through and clicked off all sorts of programs scanning options and it still pops up (e.g. SmartThings)
0 Likes
Blue7
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21

how do you even add devices to "Block pairing requests" though? 

0 Likes
Irreverentideas
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
From what I've read, it has to be devices you've paired with previously. I have paired devices, but nothing shows up and, considering this issue, I am bit unwilling to unpair something to test it out.
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@Irreverentideas Go into BT settings and click "Scan" off.  Already paired device will still connect but I "think" this is like not making your device discoverable and it should stop the pairing requests.  The problem is that turning scan off does not stick and may turn back on for various reasons....try it.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes