Original topic:

Terrible artifacts on pictures from the 10x camera

(Topic created on: 4/5/21 8:27 PM)
goatybeard
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I upgraded my S21 Ultra's system software today and took a few test shots. Two photos from the 10x telephoto camera have the same problem: the edges of the pine tree at the upper right corner have a strange black contour, and the cross on top of the church building has very strong ringing against the sky and the distant hill. Attached are the full picture of one of the photos and crops of the two problematic areas. I suspect the strange artifacts are related to the upsampling of a 10MP sensor's output to 12MP. Do customers really care if a picture is 12MP? No! 10MP is already more than enough for most customers most times, and an upsampled 12MP image doesn't have the details to satisfy a customer who needs 12MP! So upsampling to 12MP doesn't satisfy anyone! Samsung please improve the S21's image processing algorithm by going with the 10MP native resolution and reduce the unnecessary sharpening that creates ringing.

11 Replies
goatybeard
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Reposing the crop of the church cross, where there is terrible ringing artifacts...

20210405_203257_8598.jpg

0 Likes
MarcuserpmvTZ7GIz2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Good post, but also wanted to say that the first picture looks like Godzilla's back :grinning_face:
0 Likes
skyblu4u
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
They look beautiful I'm sorry they don't measure up to the standards galaxy has put on your phone model I'm not being a meany mouth but these pics are great so I'd really like to see a pic that comes out even better
0 Likes
goatybeard
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I'd like to add one more comment that since Samsung has marketed the S21 Ultra as having two 10MP telephoto cameras, upsampling their outputs is confusing and totally unnecessary. Changing their outputs to the sensors' 10MP native resolution will be consistent with the phone's marketing and improve image quality significantly. Customers will strongly prefer 10MP photos without the heavy edge ringing problem or artifacts!
Lux_Fiat
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I also agree that it should stop upscaling to 12mp, there is no reason to do it and it just adds more processing for the phone to do when you take a pic.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

take a few more photos and then report it via members app 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

but it could be due to the wind? im pretty sure the trees were moving while you were taking the photos

0 Likes
goatybeard
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I reported the issue via the app before posting here. This morning, I got a reply from Samsung support that the issue had been forwarded to the developer.
There was little wind, but no matter the pine needles were moving or not, how can anyone explain the white gap between the black contour artifacts and the bulk of the tree?
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

What mode and zoom were you at?  I'd like to try and duplicate it.

But honestly, for the majority of users these photo's are great.  If one was going to pixel peep the $1300 would have been better spent on some glass for your DSLR.

I bought the Ultra because I wanted to be able to leave my DSLR kit at home on occasion but there really still is no substitute for a DSLR and fast glass.  No way can this phone, or any phone match my full frame sensor, variable aperture and some 1.4 glass for indoor photos.

I do have a Moto Z4 with the Hassleblad Moto Mod that suffers in low light but with a large 10x optical zoom and a Xenon flash that takes some shots that rival a consumer DSLR.

Pixel peep on this one taken with my Moto Z Hasselblad Moto Mod, untouched jpg, auto, right out of the phone. I was qite impressed especially considering the slow shutter speed of 1/30s.

hasselblad1.jpg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes