JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Text shortcuts / word replacement

(Topic created: 06-29-2021 06:45 AM)
ForeverGreen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm big on using a custom word replacement dictionary. Wondering why there isn't an option re capitalization. Some words are always capitalized, but most should only be capitalized at the beginning of a sentence.  The "text shortcuts" feature in my s2q is perfect, except that it doesnt auto capitalize 1st letter in a sentence.  Would love to see this addressed in an update. My old blackberry even got this right.  👍 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

View solution in context

11 Replies
Who_Dis
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S21

the samsung keyboard seems to work just fine capitalizing all the first letters of a sentence... are you referring to the words you manually save and link to key-words? Those I think only show exactly as you initially save. Not sure if the auto-capitalization works for those text shortcuts. I've tried on my phone and it only gives what I had saved and no auto-capitalization is applied. 

0 Likes
ForeverGreen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Right. Def works fine when typing, but words created via text shortcuts only populate exactly as entered. Would be much more useful if they autocapitalized at beginning of sentences.
Who_Dis
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S21

certainly would be great feature to add for the future updates. seriously wishing Samsung had a suggestion box for desired features. 

0 Likes
부활
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
You have the option to change your default keyboard. I'm not a fan of extra third party apps outside of defaults designed for device but Gboard is one accepted alternative. Punctuality is actually integrated, as well a built in translator, keyboard background modification that recalls past backgrounds to use again, search from text typed, gif keyboard, one handed mode, adding language dictionary's, and a clipboard that allows you to pin all copied text in clipboard locker if needed to re use again on the Dailey. Let me know if this is a better alternative and if works flawlessly please click the 3 dots on this comment and select solution accepted. Nothing against Samsung keyboard but personally needed more functions for productivity and texting endeavorsScreenshot_20210629-154457_Samsung Members.jpg
0 Likes
부활
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Also even if you want prefer to use words not recognized or slang you can hold on said misspelled words to save into your dictionary for custom dialects and improving the keyboard ai to better learn how you wish to type and communicate
0 Likes
ForeverGreen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Going to check it out now. 👍 👍
I really need that 'text shortcut / word replacement' feature.
0 Likes
ForeverGreen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
So I downloaded gboard and set up a few words. Realized it was exactly what I was looking for. So, before I started setting it up, I uninstalled an app I had been trying out for the same purpose, called Texpand. Ever since I did that, the personal dictionary stopped working and won't replace anymore??? Ive cleared cache, forced stop, unistall and reinstall, rebooted, and I even reinstalled the Texpand app. I CANNOT get that functionality back. Super strange. Any ideas?
0 Likes
ForeverGreen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Thank you for your help. I still can't get it to work the way I want to and am not sure if it's even an option. If I use the dictionary and adds words with the optional shortcut, will it replace the word automatically or only offer it up in the suggestion bar, requiring and additional key press that isn't the space bar....
0 Likes
ForeverGreen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Still trying to find best solution. I definitely prefer gboard now that u pointed it out, but it does not seem to actually have an option to replace text and expand a shortcut into something else. Even though it's worded as if it does, I've searched high and low and I don't think it's possible right now. I also tried an app called Texpand pretty thoroughly and couldn't get that one to work well either. Any advice is appreciated.

For now I'm probably going to start putting my dictionary into samsung keyboard.
0 Likes