Original topic:

Unlock phone to get app notifications

(Topic created: 04-20-2022 10:24 AM)
TBowman
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

In the past, people have been able to turn off "secure start" or "strong protection" so that your apps actually boot up when your phone turns on or is restarted. Now it seems both options are gone. I want to have my alarms always function when my phone is on. I don't turn my phone off often, but sometimes it happens, or I let my battery die on accident and leave it on the charger while I turn the phone back on before going to bed. Always great (sarcasm) to wake up to my alarm being nonexistent because Samsung thinks it was a great idea to not let any apps work when the phone first starts up. This feature is pointless since even after you do the first unlock, and you eventually relock your phone, the app begin to give you notifications. If anyone wants app notifications to never display when locked, there's a "hide content" option already. So I really don't see the point of this forced stupid feature that older phones never forced people to use. What if you need to make an emergency call? Or see emergency information for paramedics to view? All of which are NORMALLY accessible even when the phone is locked.

Rant aside, is there any new method for allowing apps to automatically load and not require a password or pin or pattern or whatever before the phone actually starts functioning? As of April 2022, there is no option to turn off secure start or strong protection to bypass this. Seems the only way currently (which no one would ever do) is to disable all security unlock features in general. The phone I'm working with is the Galaxy S21+.

3 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
Sounds to me as if you're seeking a secure device to protect your personal info and more. You're going about it in the wrong way. Unless you spend BIG BUCKS and purchase a device with secure encryption and all the rest you won't get it on a simple smartphone. Matter of fact smartphones are one of the less secure devices to own.

However you can ease up on some of the security features your employing. Don't keep vital personal information on your device. Banking, credit card info, payment information, employment passwords etc.

As for keeping your desired apps functioning when you start up your device open DEVICE CARE, then open the BATTERY SETTINGS, once there tap BACKGROUND USAGE LIMITS.

In background usage limits one can "PUT UNUSED APPS TO SLEEP" and toggle on the three levels below it to set the desired level of how you want apps to be used on YOUR DEVICE and how YOU want it to run.

You can choose which apps you want to sleep, deep sleep or NEVER SLEEP.

Never sleep is where you seem you want to be. Open NEVER SLEEPING APPS, toggle the + up in the right hand corner and add all the apps you desire to NEVER SLEEP. Upon restart these apps WILL BE FUNCTIONING.

I've used this for at least 10 years and it's worked perfectly all that time. Once in a while if the cache is cleared in SETTINGS/APPS accidentally you may have to go back to Device Care and repeat the steps I've just described to add them back to your desired level of use.

I believe this should solve what I think you're seeking. Good luck!
TBowman
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
"Sounds to me as if you're seeking a secure device to protect your personal info and more."

No, when I mentioned the emergency info, it's something galaxies can already do. Even when a phone isn't unlocked, a paramedic can swipe over to my contacts from the lock screen, view my name, and then look at my medical information I saved. This however is NOT accessible when the phone is first powered on/restarted. Same goes for if someone finds my phone, they plug in the charger, and tries to contact....anyone. Nope, not doable until it is unlocked at least once. That's my concern. I want LESS security, because this level of security seems counterintuitive.

"You can choose which apps you want to sleep, deep sleep or NEVER SLEEP. "

I've put certain apps under the "never sleep" category, and unfortunately upon a reset/powering on the phone the apps are still inaccessible until the phone is unlocked at least once.

My original goal was to see if there was an equivalent of turning off "secure start" or "strong protection." Those solutions worked in years prior but Samsung decided to randomly remove that feature.

I appreciate your help though, thank you for giving me the time of your concern! Hopefully Samsung fixes its mistakes.
0 Likes
user7NzJ4ODDPS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
D³33m
0 Likes