JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Very frustrated Samsung is using Microsoft cloud

(Topic created: 10-30-2021 07:30 PM)
CharlieNasa
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Why is Samsung going to Microsoft cloud? They just effectively removed backup function with Samsung. Now have to use an alternate.  As I'll never use Microsoft OneDrive. 

Notice of moving to onedrive
10 Replies
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Yea, this was announced MONTHS ago.

It's "a business thing" ... can't fight it.
Rainy121258
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
This Samsung A12 is one problem after another. From the curser having a mind of its own to incomplete transferring of data from old phone to this new phone. Of course it's extremely simple to purchase anything from your business however when a person goes back repeatedly to the store of purchase, eyes are rolled and the interest of your employees went from happy to help customers to oh know, I thought we were through with her.
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
if you want cloud storage, your choices are among several offerings that each have their issues. alternatively, back up to your laptop, an SSD, or use a phone with increased storage
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@CharlieNasa 

If you were just using Samsung's free backup then moving to Onedrive is free and transparent with the same amount of free storage that you had with Samsung.

If you had a premium account with Samsung there are plenty of options out there.  I chose a 100gb plan from Onedrive for $1.99/month and it works great.

Google gives you 15bg free.

You can also buy a couple of TB of storage from companies like Western Digital and set up your own personal cloud and access it from anywhere.

There are lots of options.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
MutatedRam
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Samsung has given its users plenty of time to find an alternative, everyone has received plenty of notices
Bs2209
Sun
Options
Galaxy S21
Samsung doesn't want to pay for the massive server Farms that are required worldwide to be able to support cloud storage so they have a contract with Microsoft to do this for them because Microsoft found a way to monetize it in a way that Samsung couldn't you do have the option to go to Google Drive and Google Cloud and there are several other cloud-based Storage Solutions but you should have done this long ago
0 Likes
maxnuckles
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I've been telling people that they should try using their carrier storage Cloud Minds unlimited so that's what I'm going to do the OneDrive with the Microsoft they want to charge you so it's 

0 Likes
CharlieNasa
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Y'all are completely missing the point....
Most carriers charge, including Google who doesn't treat the data as yours but theirs and they decide what all they will restore and won't. Where Samsung gives much more functional use and fine control without the restrictions but I'm paying for the Google....and Microsoft is worse then Google when it comes to trying to tell you what you can't and can't do with your data on your device look at windows 10 and 11 is even worse!. Samsung is the most likely to have that functional control as they built the device. And they seem to be the most likely to recognize your data on your device as just that, yours.
0 Likes
CharlieNasa
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I would rather pay for Samsung than have Microsoft for free. And I'm simply referring to the device backups.
0 Likes