Original topic:

Video Quality bad on s21

(Topic created: 12-08-2022 09:12 PM)
Bee18
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21
Hi, if you're a S21 user please can you attest to the fact that videos received through SmS is downloaded and seen in high quality. I didn't know when it started but is been a while now that I noticed that when videos are sent to my phone through SmS (messages) the quality is so bad & after checking one of the details of the videos that was sent to me I found out it was delivered in 3gp format which is weird because when I record videos through my phone camera it's stored as mp4 which is way better than 3gp. 

I've tried to check my settings if I can rectify it but no menu is showing how to reset the quality of the videos sent to my sms. If you do know how to rectify this please drop a comment below, I'll truly appreciate it. Thanks.
4 Replies
LugiaDaryl27
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21
It's just a Android thing, it happens to most android phones, I don't think it's the phone itself, I have this similar situation you have and it's on the Galaxy S22 Ultra, someone in my contacts sends a video to me from sms, just expect low quality because Samsung hasn't implemented the ability to change the video quality on sms in the messages app yet, I don't think Google messages has done that yet surprisingly! I want to know is why Samsung won't implement this! We need better video quality when are love ones or friends and family sends us a video, it's just plain ridiculous of how bad the quality is on Text message!
Belaythatorder
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S21
A good workaround is to use Google Photos where you can create a shareable link and not have to worry about file size limits or diminished photo quality. Another option would be to use Google Messages which uses RCS and produces better quality shared photos/videos.
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

It's actually a carrier thing.  MMS file sizes vary with carriers but most are around 1MB.  If you have RCS then the size increases but with today's cameras which produce super large photos and videos, even RCS is not enough. 

If you want to send large media from the texting app, then in Gallery select the item to send, tap the share icon and then select Quick Share.  That will Give you a number of options but the easiest one is to "copy Link" which you can then paste into your text message.  The original sized file will be available to the recipient to download. 

Alternatively you can use 3rd party pohot storage services like Amazon and Google to share the file. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
NC7
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
If possible, use the signal app. Way higher quality (especially for photos if you enable it in the settings) and it's encrypted unlike sms. The only bad part is the receiver also has to download the app..
0 Likes