JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

What is GPU Trottle

(Topic created: 06-19-2021 12:48 PM)
Boogie1991
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Okay, so I've been watching videos on youtube about the new S22 Ultra with AMD    so there testing it out and there is a problem with throttling   what exactly is throttleing???? can some explain please... they said some about throttling 20-30% ????

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Galaxy S21
There's a couple different types of throttling. I'm guessing it's either bandwidth/internet throttling or hardware throttling.

Internet throttling:

Bandwidth throttling is the intentional slowing or speeding of an internet service by an Internet service provider (ISP). It is a reactive measure employed in communication networks to regulate network traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion. Bandwidth throttling can occur at different locations on the network.

Hardware throttling:

Dynamic frequency scaling (also known as CPU throttling) is a power management technique in computer architecture whereby the frequency of a microprocessor can be automatically adjusted "on the fly" depending on the actual needs, to conserve power and reduce the amount of heat generated by the chip. Dynamic frequency scaling helps preserve battery on mobile devices and decrease cooling cost and noise on quiet computing settings, or can be useful as a security measure for overheated systems (e.g. after poor overclocking).

In conclusion, the problem they're having with throttling is either through the network it's connected to or the phone itself is throttling it's own capabilites to conserve battery life or improve performance.

Considering it comes with an AMD chip, I'm guessing the latter. Though there should be a way to adjust the phone's power level in order to stop the throttling.

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
Options
Galaxy S21
There's a couple different types of throttling. I'm guessing it's either bandwidth/internet throttling or hardware throttling.

Internet throttling:

Bandwidth throttling is the intentional slowing or speeding of an internet service by an Internet service provider (ISP). It is a reactive measure employed in communication networks to regulate network traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion. Bandwidth throttling can occur at different locations on the network.

Hardware throttling:

Dynamic frequency scaling (also known as CPU throttling) is a power management technique in computer architecture whereby the frequency of a microprocessor can be automatically adjusted "on the fly" depending on the actual needs, to conserve power and reduce the amount of heat generated by the chip. Dynamic frequency scaling helps preserve battery on mobile devices and decrease cooling cost and noise on quiet computing settings, or can be useful as a security measure for overheated systems (e.g. after poor overclocking).

In conclusion, the problem they're having with throttling is either through the network it's connected to or the phone itself is throttling it's own capabilites to conserve battery life or improve performance.

Considering it comes with an AMD chip, I'm guessing the latter. Though there should be a way to adjust the phone's power level in order to stop the throttling.