Original topic:

What is the meaning of water resistant in Samsung's language?

(Topic created: 08-09-2022 12:48 PM)
usergSC9ZWK1HC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Hi everyone. 

After having a S10+ for two years and a 21 Ultra for just one year, I would really appreciate if someone could explain what does water resistant mean when it comes to Samsung phones? Is it some joke we should just accept and laugh at? My S10+ had no problems regarding water for the first year. I must say, it must or been in a swimming pool about 10 times at the most and never been as deep as half a meter but just slightly under the water to try the cameras and very occasionally under the tap to clean the phone. No problems until second year when it gets wet in the pool and stops working for a few weeks until it comes back to live except for the front and back cameras which never worked again. Same thing happened with my S21 Ultra. No problems during the first year (August 2021 till yesterday and never under the water in swimming pool after what happened to my previous S10+) and then suddenly, just after cleaning the phone with a cloth and some tap water, I observe moisture in one of the back cameras, power button stops working, half an hour later the whole phone stops responding and when I pick the phone up it was like holding a bottle of water! How can a water resistant phone be literally full of water just by cleaning it with a cloth and a bit of tap water which was not even pointing directly to the phone? How can any manufacturer sell water resistant phones when all that protects them from water damage are some cheap seals that no way can handle such heat from the actual phone without surely deteriorating? Does Samsung's water resistant means keep it away from water? Does it mean don't wet the phone after a few months of usage to avoid having to upgrade? 

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I will edit since I can't find a way to answer directly

@LongHiker

So we buy a phone that is supposed to be water resistant unless seals are not in good conditions. Seals will surely not be after a few months considering how hot this phones get. Appreciate your reply but to me it's nonsense. Should we have our phones serviced every three months just to clean them with a cloth and a bit of tap water now and again?

@rrga11

So we should only wet our water resistant phones with bottled water. Wouldn't heat affect seals more than salt or chlorine? My phones have never been in salt water and even tap water has chlorine and chemicals. Two phones, same problem. I don't believe it has to do with luck, but with taking the risk and being irresponsible enough to sell phones as water resistant when all we can wet them with is bottled water for no longer than a few months after purchase. Just bought an S22 Ultra and I will definitely not make the same mistake again. I understand it's no one else's fault but mine but what I can't understand is how can a manufacturer be irresponsible enough to claim that their high range phones for which we pay over  1,000€ are water resistant when at the end of the day and after considering your explanations (which I highly appreciate) the conclusion is that it's never safe and always a risk to get your phone wet under any circumstances and conditions 

@user1FtPW1iaI8

I Have no need to take a swim with the phone. All I would've expected is to send a few text messages or answer a phone call with a water resistant phone which is claimed to be submersible up to 1.5 meters for half an hour while standing in the water without worrying about water drops or splashes. My S21 was never submerged in the pool after what happened to my S10+ and thank God I didn't, knowing it got full of water just by wetting it a bit under the tap. Maybe someone should consider including a waterproof case in the S23 box with a sticker saying: "Just in case you read or heard us claim our phones are water resistant. Use it or loose it"

@usermzeJaY3BsM 

That phone had only been dropped four or five times at the most, from no higher than like the sofa to the floor and always had a good quality cover and screen protector which I always order and make sure it has been delivered before buying the actual phone, so I doubt this was the reason for it to be destroyed by a bit of water. I threw it in the bin and no longer have it but I can assure it didn't have a single scratch on the screen or on the phone at all as my previous S10+ which I still have. Not sure about this being some magical matter as many people have complained about it and I do know some of them. My device was near an empty sink, over a few towels just in case it slipped while cleaning it with a cloth and some tap water, not knowing we now have to use bottled water or drive to the nearest spring, filter the water afterwards and make sure there are not more than two drops on the phone to be able to show the world the power of Samsung's water resistant devices and how reliable they are. Only reason I can think of is that the phone has been like on fire a few times during videocalls while on mobile data (I have read many complaints about it - it's nothing to do with my phone) and I doubt them seals are made to resist such heat. Can't really tell where the water I noticed and heard as soon as I picked the phone up and shaked it afterwards exactly was or where it got into the phone from. Worked for about half an hour while power button was dead and screen became unresponsive two or three times in-between. There's no other reason for this to have happened and if there was an actual one I knew or thought about, which was caused by not being as careful as I should with the phone, I wouldn't be here complaining about it. As I already mentioned, bought a new S22 Ultra, don't really care about the actual phones I lost and l'm enjoying the new one. Still, that doesn't change the fact I could've saved a few thousands if manufacturer was not as irresponsible about their claims regarding the matter and surely not everyone can just upgrade as if nothing happened after having their phones ruined due to manufacturer lies. The point here is why is such a phone manufacturer allowed to claim their phones are water resistant, when according to you guys and to common sense, there are so many reasons why a slightly bit of water could damage the whole phone no matter how new or well kept it is. Pool water, chlorine, you can only wet it with bottled water, you must have dropped it quite a few times and that has caused seals damage... It's not fair or acceptable at all for their own customers to, according to their claims, use the phones as water resistant and even make some believe, again according to their promises, they will resist up to 30 minutes under one and a half meters, which is nothing but an expensive, irresponsible, dangerous and false claim.

@Ariscott56 I do appreciate your reply, but not very sure what you're talking about. Yes, I do understand the difference between water resistant and waterproof. Have I complained about water damage after dropping phone into the ocean? Drops, long exposure to heat, salt water, device age (one year must be a very old phone for you)... Same story again and again. Why sell phones with IP68 rating when it's only valid for a few months (device age) and any drop, heat, and so many other factors can ruin a phone as the so called water resistant consists of 50% cheap seals and 50% cheap lies and poor excuses when problems occur. Do you understand the IP68 language? 

6 Replies
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@usergSC9ZWK1HC The Samsung S21 is IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins). If the seals are compromised however, water will get in. 

0 Likes
rrga11
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Salt water and chlorinated water can erode the seal, and any damage to the seals can cause it to lose water resistance. They mean normal water conditions, like tap water, not salt water or any highly acidic or erosive waters. Or you can just get an unlucky device and it fail to resist.
0 Likes
user1FtPW1iaI8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
They sell water proof cases for all phones if u want take a swim with the phone get a water proof case
0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21

Hate to be this guy but... Dropping your phone could case the water resistance integrity to go down.  You may not even see anything wrong, but the drop may have caused the seals to break, or even a new entry point.  Water does not require much to get into a device.  While tap water does have chlorine in it, it does not have the quantity that pool water has.  Samsung was actually sued when their first ip68 devices came out, as they had adds showing it used in pools, and in the sea.  They now have disclaimers about this, or state Fresh water.

When you ran your device near your sink, and water magically got into it (as you attest) was this device ever dropped beforehand?

The seals inside your device are heat resistant, as well as fresh water resistant, you do not have to baby them for the entire duration of the device's life.

P.S. editing your original post with your responses while using a Firefox browser causes several carriage returns to be added, so each time you do this you increase the blank space at the end of your original post.  You can edit this with either Chrome, or in the members app to delete the extra carriage returns that are in your original post.  Editing it with Firefox does nothing, but add more, from what I have found.

0 Likes
Ariscott56
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Or I don't think you understand the language BETWEEN water resistance and waterproof. Damages like drops, long exposure to heat, salt water, or device age is gonna affect its ability for resist water. There is NO such thing as a waterproof phone at this moment. If the device was waterproof, there would be almost no possibility the water can enter the device, which a lot of people including you got confused of.
0 Likes
Bones2001
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Why not clean them with lens cleaning wipes, which are essentially alcohol wipes?
0 Likes