JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why do I have to unlock my phone for it to complete the setup after an update

(Topic created: 06-03-2022 08:12 AM)
I-man
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

When restarting the phone, why do i need to unlock samsung for it to finish setup? Can I change that in the settings? 

It's supper annoying when you have an alarm set for the morning and your phone updates while your sleeping. After the update the phone restarts and you need to unlock it so it can finish setting up. But if you don't unlock it it will not completely start and your alarms won't ring. 
I just want it to do what it has to do when restarting. Then when its finished I put my pin and without delay I can use my phone. 
13 Replies
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
That prevents people from just rebooting your phone to get around the screen lock. I went into my settings and turned off the automatic updates so I won't have that issue. I just check for them manually every now and then.
I-man
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
No the lock screen is still there. What I'm saying a better way is as soon as you unlock the phone you can use it. Instead what Samsung did is they made you unlock it before it can finish rebooting. It's silly and has no benefits
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Again, the lock screen on reboot keeps your phone secure.

You're saying it would be better to boot all the way up and *then* lock the screen. That can be interrupted and is insecure.
0 Likes
I-man
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
That's doesn't make sense. I'll have to put pin in to finish the reboot. How does that make it secure? In any case you will need to put in pin once restarting. I'm not sure how other android phones do it but on the iPhone when you restart it, it may take a bit longer to boot but once u have the lock screen u can just sign in with no delay. I think it's more of a flaw but is covered up with "secure".
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
password is used to get access to the full disk encryption key. fingerprint is used to unlock the screen (of an already "decrypted" device)

Encryption key retrieval must be:

accurate - on each entry, the device must transform the password through a key-derivation function into the one and only correct encryption key, otherwise the device won't be able to decrypt the data secure - derived through a one-way function, not "unlocked" by comparing data provided by a user with a pattern stored on the device

Fingerprint recognition does not meet the above requirements, it is:

fuzzy - on each press the sensor provides the device an approximate image of a part of a fingerprint which is matched at a certain accuracy; on each verification attempt the actual data differs due to different position, skew, press strength

non-secure - recognition is performed by comparing the actual fingerprint with the data stored on the device - this data must be both readable and modifiable which makes it vulnerable to an attacker.
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
And I believe IOS does require signin on reboot now, but not positive.
0 Likes
I-man
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Thank you. Just a bit frustrating after using iPhone for a decade.
RedOregon
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
No problem! I've been there too...
0 Likes
Solution
Options
Galaxy S21
Hello @I-man!
I understand your frustration with System Updates and alarms not going off, however after a system update, the phone will wait at the lock screen to ensure that you are the correct user, and that someone doesn't get unauthorized access to your phone.
If needed, you can disable automatic updates to prevent this.
Hope this helps!
-SteadyStatus21