Original topic:

Why update taking so long for unlocked

(Topic created: 11-18-2021 04:22 AM)
holymoly
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
ive been waiting one ui 4, and I had this experience on one ui 2 and 3.
most of the region like EU and Korea, when there is a firmware update, it may differ by carriers but they usually update at the same time no matter its unlocked or not. But only U.S always carriers get the update first and then unlocked. if it's like a couple day different, I would just wait for it but from Android 9, 10 unlocked model is always late for like a week or two. why is that? in my opinion, shouldn't it be that unlocked model is easier for the update since no bloat, or pre installed app etc?
why there's a huge huge discrimination btwn carrier phone and unlocked?
0 Likes
10 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
unless there's a schedule change, unlocked phones will get the update next week
Options
Galaxy S21
XDA forums said that some people got it today
0 Likes
cory00
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
What xda forum? I can't find anything.
0 Likes
AlmightyPush
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Honestly bro, Samsung has been irritating me with how they treat they're smartphones with updates. It's absolutely frustrating that a 1,000 dollar phone can't consistently get updates the way it should. 🤦🏽‍:male_sign:
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@holymoly The US cellular system is completely different than other countries. In the US, Samsung releases the builds to the carriers.

• For carrier locked devices, each carrier adds their special sauce to the build to make it unique.
  • For unlocked devices, each carrier adds the needed network information.
  • Each carrier then carries out their test suite to ensure that the release won't break their network. There is no guarantee that carriers test the unlocked and locked versions at the same time. 
  • When the carrier is satisfied (and sometimes they aren't), they releases the builds to the public. 
Calder-Cay
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Unlocked phone is much more encompassing, feature and carrier wise
0 Likes
Leify
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Unlocked phones are at the mercy of the carriers in the US because they have to wait on all of them first.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@Leify "Unlocked phones are at the mercy of the carriers in the US because they have to wait on all of them first."

Every carrier can test and release updates to unlocked devices on their network regardless of what other carriers are doing. Historically, you will frequently see unlocked devices on AT&T getting updates long before the unlocked devices on T-Mobile get the updates. 

0 Likes
Leify
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
This has been exactly the opposite of any experience I have with AT&T typically being last to appear to end users for updates. They say the firmware has to work on all of the carriers first before any can release the update to unlocked phones as the devices will configure based on the carrier SIM inserted. Unless something has just recently changed, this has been like this for at least the past three years or so.
0 Likes