Original topic:

Wireless Charging - Not Activating

(Topic created on: 4/23/21 10:52 AM)
Tall2Texan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
With the latest AT&T FirstNet software update on the S21 Ultra 5G, the wireless charging feature has become unreliable. This used to charge quickly as soon as it was placed on a charging pad. (15W pad or stand provided with device)  

I of course have tried without the case and it does not improve reliability. It is becoming so unreliable I have to USB C fast charge during the day to keep battery operating. 

6 Replies
dtloveless
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
I have three 10W+ Qi-certified wireless charging pads. I just bought a Galaxy S20 5G and all three of them worked on my phone at full speeds until the OneUI 3.1 update. Now, my phone will say "Fast wireless charging" for a few seconds, then change and notify me that fast wireless charging is unavailable because the charger is not compatible with my phone, after which I am restricted my to trickle-charge at half an Amp! It appears that Samsung my have made a mistake in the latest update, or possibly have locked down the feature to promote their new Samsung Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 devices, despite that our phones are still capable of working with the normal Qi-certified fast wireless charging standards.
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

So the other day I spent some time researching and testing.  I may be wrong but this is what I believe.

QI certification has nothing to do with charging speed, it governs the method of wireless charging.  In QI's case that means induction charging, Foreign Object detection, Temperature (fan) and some other things.  The amount of current used is controlled by the phone and in the case of the S21 that means chargers that meet the Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 standard.

So I tested my Moto Z4 Turbo Charger and an Anker wireless charging stand and my Ultra did in fact fast wireless charge. It appears that the issue is not manufacturer based but charger specification based.

Samsung clearly states the the charging requirements as "Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 and USB PD 3.0 (PPS) certified Fast Charging for wired charging (AFC and QC2.0 compatible)*WPC certified Wireless charging"

So QI is an important standard for use to use when looking for a charging pad but it is not the only one to be concerned with.

The big question is why did the chargers stop being compatible after the update.  I can think of at least 2 reasons.  The first one is that it is an unintentional bug and it will get resolved and the second is that allowing chargers that didn't meet the new standard to work was in itself a bug and the update fixed it.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
Tall2Texan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Your last sentences were most relevant. Since they are the chargers provided with the phone on purchase, it should be compatible and meet specification. My S20Ultra still works so this is a firmware issue with S21Ultra.
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@Tall2Texan  My S21 fast wireless charges with both the Samsung 25w super fast charger and the Moto Turbo charger and with both a Samsung wireless stand and the Anker stand.  

I would guess that any QI pad would work with a PD 3.0 certified Fast wall charger.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

only the compatible wireless chargers will charge with fast charging speed. non-compatible chargers will charge with normal speed. 

0 Likes
Tall2Texan
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I am using the charger that AT&T sent with the product when ordered. It is a 15W stand charger and a 15W pad charger. It worked perfectly before the latest software update. This is a software issue not a charger issue. Bill-e took the conversation in a different direction.
0 Likes