Original topic:

chat features on unlocked phones

(Topic created on: 2/28/21 8:29 AM)
useroFeBfX4hMC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Is only unlocked phones being affected the lack of the chat feature? I have att but got my phone unlocked and can't use the chat feature and don't have an option. Had a hard time enabling the chat feature through Google messaging app. Tried downloading Google phone and tried that *#*#... and the menu screen didn't even pop up. I chatted with Samsung and they said go through carrier.  I was on the phone with att over an hour. They had me do various things and even adding an access point but no success. I want to know if this an isolated problem with the unlocked phone because at this point I'm ready to return it. I see a lot of people complaining about itbut no solution from samsung 
6 Replies
SJohnson
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
I have an unlocked phone and it works for me. it really depends on your carrier. I don't use the stock Samsung messenger, I use Android messages. what I did was clear the cache and data and then force stop the app then go back into the settings and it finally let me enable chat features

Please follow all community guidelines before posting

useroFeBfX4hMC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
What carrier do you have? And I do like the samsung app over Google. I'm not able to keep things organized with Google as I am with samsung messaging app. So this is turning to be a deal breaker.
0 Likes
SJohnson
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21
T-Mobile

Please follow all community guidelines before posting

glassman72
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
yeah unlocked devices don't get the carrier version of rcs in samsung messages...only can get through Google, but it is difficult to set up initially. there was a way to force google rcs into samsung app using Google dialer and a code and a few other steps, but it got broken when phones updated to one ui 3. I'm :thinking_face: it may come at sometime in the future but not at this current time. on s21 phones outside US, the default messages app is google with an one ui skin... so they will have google rcs features straight out the box probably. but for us in the US, we got the samsung app out the box, but no google rcs features...frustrating!
useroFeBfX4hMC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
very frustrating. at this point I'm ready to send it back and get a locked phone. we paying too much money for what I consider a basic feature to not be available. at this point att will get back with me in a couple days with a final solution. and if they say they can't do anything. the phone is going to back to samsung.
glassman72
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
only way for us to get some chat features is to either get a carrier :mobile_phone:or use android messages app
0 Likes