Original topic:

fb.bin.png Randomly Appeared in Samsung Gallery Application

(Topic created: 12-03-2021 08:57 AM)
ss02
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Hi everyone!

On December 2nd 2021 at 20:28, it appears my phone randomly created a photo album in the Gallery app called Documents. Within that folder is a blank grey image and it is titled as, fb.bin.png. From investigating on other forums, it seems people speculate that it is either Venmo, or PayPal, (I have PayPal) that's creating the document and image. I had difficulties locating the source of it on my device in particular, myself.

Are there any known sources or fixes to this annoyance yet? Anything I should do or be concerned about in the meantime? Any help or recommendations would be useful. I imagine it's nothing too serious, but I thought I should confirm with others who have better knowledge of this anyway.

5 Replies
Matty77
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
If you have Venmo, it does that
0 Likes
ss02
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I do not have Venmo
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@ss02 It definitely happens for me with the PayPal or Venmo app. I have removed the apps and the file. Then download and install either PayPal or Venmo, no file appears. If I open the app the file appears immediately. No need to actually sign in. 

I had a long thread with Venmo support. They claim that their developers have no idea why this file is created. That seems scary for an app but especially so with a financial app. 

Part of their response "If you were given the option to create your Venmo account with Facebook and took that option, your Venmo picture will default to using that picture...". But my Venmo is not associated with a Facebook account in any way. 

And the .png is not a real PNG nor a backup file. It contains 36 characters. 

TL;DR IME definitely tied to Venmo and PayPal apps . But other apps could be causing it. 

ss02
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
This definitely concerning when it comes to financial apps, yes. Confirming that people are saying it's still likely those two apps, I did open my PayPal app around the exact time when that folder and false PNG was created. I will be contacting PayPal to see if they have anything to say about this, incase it was from them as well. I can comment their responses if you'd be curious? My PayPal is not connected to Facebook. I was imagining that's what the, "fb" stood for in that file name.
0 Likes
Mrs-Cay
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Though folks claim it's a single app responsible, I suspect it's a programming library used by a number of apps that use it

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/pyxq3w/i_just_randomly_found_something_in_my_photos_on...
0 Likes