JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

galaxy s21 USA finger print scanner unreliable

(Topic created: 02-03-2021 01:34 PM)
Trinath
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I bought the brand new galaxy s21 , and the finger print scanner is unreliable. Many times it simply does not work. Very frustrating,  is this a upgrade or downgrade. It is terrible, I upgraded from galaxy s7 .. and does not like this at all..
59 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
Do you have a screen protector? Maybe it's putting pressure and thinking it's a finger. But technically you don't have to turn the screen on. I can have my screen completely off and touch the sensor to unlock the phone and turn the screen on (after 1 year with the phone, I know exactly where to touch even without their being an icon there) - however, I have the S20 so it might be different with the S21.
0 Likes
userGmEvQTZs7M
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

No no screen protector, I even cleaned the screen off completely and tried it. It just seems as though the signal from pressing the on button to wake the screen is prompting the sensor to read even though nothing is there even though my fingers are nowhere near the screen.

0 Likes
userGmEvQTZs7M
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

And I specifically turned off the always on fingerprint sensor so that you can't wake the screen from off without pressing the power button so nothing gets bumped as that is how I prefer it.

0 Likes
userJLvpB8gBH4
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
The finger sensor on S21 Ultra user to work great, much faster and reliable than my note 20. I updated the software a couple of days ago and now the sensor has issues reading. it might be an issue with the software update 🤷🤷🤷🤦
0 Likes
SamsungRei
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

An Accepted Solution has been marked and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. If you have a separate concern, feel free to post again or send one of our moderators a private message with more details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/19/21, will be removed to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find resolutions and needed content. Remember that if you do make a post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring with your product. Thank you for being part of the community!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Sammix
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

I have the Galaxy S21+. The fingerprint sensor on this phone is a joke. It very simply does not work for me.  I'm hoping to hear ideas from people for whom the sensor does work.

Here is what I have tried thus far to get the fingerprint sensor to work:

Preliminary:

1- Made sure that the screen is not covered by a screen protector.

2- Made sure that the screen and my finger were both clean.

While attempting to record my (index finger) fingerprint:

3- Recorded the same finger multiple items, and in two different ways:

a) deleted the finger and recorded it again and again; and

b) recorded the same finger as if it was four separate fingers, i.e., as Finger1, Finger2, etc.

4- Repositioned my finger in several ways, including rolling my finger in several directions.

5- Recorded my finger while damp, moist and wet.

6- Adjusted the sensitivity of the sensor.

7- Pressed down on the sensor.

While attempting to unlock the phone with my finger:

8- Made sure that my finger fully covered the fingerprint sensor.

9- Repositioned my finger in several ways, including rolling my finger in several directions.

10- Attempted to unlock while my finger was damp, moist and wet.

11 - Pressed down on the sensor.

On rare occasions, I am actually able to unlock my phone with my finger, but most of the time it simply fails and the phone says: "Fingerprint doesn't match."

I knew this probably wasn't going to work because my phone has difficulty recording my finger. I have to try again and again until the sensor says 100%.

So, is the fingerprint sensor on this phone junk? Have I missed techniques to make the sensor work for me?

0 Likes
Pyro_guy0001
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Are you running on the lastest update firmware for your phone and the sensor update
0 Likes
Eric80
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I have the same issue so what I've found is you put the line of your thumb at the edge of tablet and then press the rest of your thumb over the sensor pressing a little firmly seems to work.
And I have a glass screen protector on and it works on first or second try.
0 Likes
Solution
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21

Have you tried all of the steps listed here?-->https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01200322

There are some other steps after the "No, I need more help" option on the page, if all of the steps have been tried it is possible there is a hardware defect in the device. I would recommend repairs at that point in order to have the device evaluated by the techs. You can use the following link to find a list of service centers near you that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location. You may also have other options through your carrier's insurance if repairs are not what you would like to move forward with. You also have the option for walk-in services through your local uBreakiFix: https://www.ubreakifix.com/locations

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

LilithLee
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Definitely check to see if your phone needs updating. When I got mine, I instantly needed to upgrade it. No fingerprint issues. Hope you get it sorted soon!
0 Likes