JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New S21 purchased from Samsung.com IMEI not recognized as ATT device in carrier unlock database

(Topic created: 03-06-2021 12:57 PM)
linkysys
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

@samsung978531 New S21 ATT variant purchased from Samsung.com 1/27/21, activated on ATT network 2/3/21. ATT unlock database does not recognize IMEI as an ATT device. ATT claims data received from Samsung omitted this device. Samsung claims that unlock codes were provided at time of manufacturer and the issue is with ATT. While I was on the phone with advanced ATT support, they called Samsung support to request an unlock code per CTIA guidance. That request was denied. 

In researching this issue online, it appears to be a common problem with carrier locked devices sold by Samsung.com. I have spoken now to 9 support people at ATT over 3 days. They physically cannot unlock this device without data sharing from Samsung. Meanwhile, Samsung CS pins the blame on ATT. I purchased this device at retail and it is under warranty. ATT agrees that it is eligible for unlock and are willing to unlock the device but cannot without updated data from Samsung. As a customer, I have been caught in the middle. I have sent details via Twitter messenger to Samsung Mobile US with no reply. I have spent hours on the phone with Samsung CS without being offered any solution, only finger pointing. I have provided enough detail for Samsung engineering to work with ATT to provide data necessary for a carrier unlock code for this device. 

If I RMA the device back to Samsung, I will be out a phone and will be forced to waste half a day to set up a new device with no guarantee that it won't have the same issue. There is clearly a communication problem and/or inconsistent policy between Samsung and ATT. I have also read similar accounts with other carriers. IMO, there should be an option to purchase a carrier variant which is unlocked from the factory. There is zero reason for these devices to be locked since they are purchased at retail and not subject to ATT payment plan or other ATT subsidized pricing dependent on service contracts. The unbranded US factory unlocked variant of this device likely does not support ATT features such as HD Voice, Call Protect, wifi calling, etc. 

Simply because the IMEI of this device appears in the Samsung internal database does not mean that it appears in ATT's unlock code database. I see this as a database management and data sharing glitch that potentially impacts thousands of customers. Most will not realize that they have purchased a device incapable of unlock until their Samsung warranty has expired.

Please do not suggest that I contact ATT customer support which I have exhausted in spades. I am asking Samsung to contact ATT and provide a joint solution. This should happen seamlessly without involving the customer. I feel like I have been dragged into a bad marriage.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Due to FCC Policy, mobile service providers or carriers are the only ones authorized to provide a SIM Pin or Unlock Code. The service provider can verify proper ownership and protect our customer's identity as well as existing service contracts.

If for whatever reason, the carrier is unable to find an IMEI for your device, they have escalation channels that they should reach out to for further assistance. This is not something Samsung could assist with directly. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

3 Replies
me55577
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
helpful
0 Likes
Juice_8588
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm having the same issues. Already talked to AT&T once and they were more then willing to unlock it for me, but they couldn't find the IMEI of my phone in their system in order to unlock it. So my request was denied. So I'm not sure where to go or what to do about this issue now, but I hope Samsung can fix it soon!

Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Due to FCC Policy, mobile service providers or carriers are the only ones authorized to provide a SIM Pin or Unlock Code. The service provider can verify proper ownership and protect our customer's identity as well as existing service contracts.

If for whatever reason, the carrier is unable to find an IMEI for your device, they have escalation channels that they should reach out to for further assistance. This is not something Samsung could assist with directly. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.