Original topic:

45w charging, I'd like your input if you use it

(Topic created: 10-01-2023 01:18 PM)
Options
Galaxy S22
I'm just curious for the people who use 45 watt charging out there, have any of you actually ever witnessed your phone getting even close to 45 watts? Because I use both an OEM Samsung made 45 watt fast charger with an OEM Samsung cable and I also have an Amazon knock off OEM 45 w charger with knock-off cable and my third is another knockoff 45 watt OEM but with a extremely high rated, Overkill cable that is rated for much much higher amperage than what any 45 w charger can put out. So I have three different super fast chargers that all initiate super fast charging 2.0 and I have multiple apps that monitor the batteries input and output voltage, wattage, amperage, mah. They can real-time monitor literally every aspect of charging and I have never even one single time seen my phone taken more than I believe it was 36 watts was the highest I've ever seen and it was for a split second before settling where it always settles which is between 25 and 30 watts. This is under any conditions in any circumstance. I've tried even with my battery at 0% using an inline quality USBC voltage meter and still with the phone off because it has 0% battery I still can't seem to get anywhere near 45 Watts even at a peak, let alone consistent. Now I know these chargers are PPS and a 45 watt charger is never going to consistently put out 45 watts but I think that being most of the time 20 watts off is false advertisement. You can't sell me a $45 charging brick separately from my phone and tell me it's a 45 watt charger but then I get home and turns out it will only occasionally peak over 30 by a hair and consistently charges at between 25 and 30 watts mostly it's closer to 25 watts. So at this point I've had my phone since launch day and since then I know my speeds are only going to go lower and lower as my battery continues to degrade so I'm wondering if anyone out there has actually witnessed through either software but preferably a hardware method like a voltmeter that's in line with the charger, their phone getting even close to 45 watts when charging with a low battery. I know once again how everything works with charging lithium ion batteries or lipo, they only take advantage of peak power throughout the first 15% or so give or take then they continue to reduce the amount of wattage they will accept as the percentage gets higher and higher. Like I said though I've used an inline voltmeter specifically designed for measuring USB-C chargers that is a highly rated and reviewed item that I have absolutely zero doubt is accurate as it gets and on 0% still and more than 10-15w off of Samsung's 45 w charging claim. So I'm wondering if maybe my phone just came with a badly binned battery and it just never felt safe taking in more wattage than what I've seen or is this a consistent thing among the S22 Ultra and nobody is getting the charging speed that is being claimed capable by Samsung. All of my official tests have been with the OEM Samsung 45 w charger and cable but the knockoff ones are pretty similar one of them is actually faster than the Samsung branded one and one of them matches it identically in terms of output to my phone. That one 36w peak I saw for less than a second was on one of the knock-offs that I said consistently charges faster than Samsung's own brick and cable. Going by only the OEM one, it is never done more than 33 Watts at any point in time, which is still a far cry from the high 30s to low 40s we should be getting when we have under 10% battery and especially when we have a completely dead battery and the phone is off.
Anyone actually witness anything significantly closer to 45w than me? It's not a big deal but I am curious if these chargers have just been overrated or I ended up getting one of the badly binned batteries from the factory. It is similar to CPU binning where everybody could have the same Intel i9 processor but see different clock speeds than each other due to the binning process, all CPUs cannot be made identically to run at identicall frequency, batteries that are technically the same batteries will not always be able to handle the same amount of power as each other that is the purpose of this post is to find out if it's Samsung overrating the charging or I was just unlucky with the battery I got in my phone.
Thanks! 
7 Replies
elgiandssungkid
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
It's good, I can get up to 50% really quick, use it every night
0 Likes
The412Banner
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S22
Got it in the car and at home, 45 and 65w blocks, got to love that super fast charging 2.0
0 Likes
Ryan891
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
I've never measured the values. But I've used both 25w at home and the 45w at work. My experience has been theat the 45w works much faster on a short charge to get me through the day, from say 25% to 60% in a very short time. However from almost empty to 100% it's only about 7 to 9 minutes faster than the 25w lol
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes I and many other people agree with you that side by side doing a full charge, there is not that much of a difference between the 25 versus 45 watt full charging. I have Samsung's branded 25 watt battery bank and I swear that thing charges my phone just as fast is my 45 watt wall chargers. That battery however is declining rapidly. I only use it for emergencies now and honestly I never used it much to begin with that thing lost its capacity faster than a $20 Amazon battery bank does and now it will only charge up to three out of the four LEDs it has no matter how long I leave it on the charger so I'm thinking one of the cells died.
0 Likes
useraXJmCTdwV3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
The most I've seen is 42w also it can only maintain it up to 20 or 30 percent Soc then its throttled to 30w. the charging brick needs to support PPS with a specific voltage range so just because the block can output 45w or more doesn't mean it supports faster charging on certain phones.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Yeah bro I know, that's why in my main post I specifically said that I have two OEM PPS Samsung 45 w charging bricks My question was specifically for the people that use the right equipment for the phone. I have three different ways of measuring the wattage and I can confirm that since I've acquired these measuring tools which I've had for a couple of years, so the whole life of this phone, I've never once gotten over 30 watts at any point. I have a really really stupid expensive in line USBC voltmeter with a big oled display on it and Bluetooth so I can monitor it from another device anywhere in my house, I have one of those charging cables that are 100 watt rated that have the built-in display on the ends of the cable to tell you the wattage and then I have a second in line that is multi USB, it'll do USBC USBA USB mini b and micro and for some reason my phone just has never asked for more than 30 Watts but it will hold 30 Watts for quite a long time. Sometimes too long, like I go into my settings and shut super fast charging off because it bugs me out. When I'm at 95% and my phone still pulling 30 watts I shut things down manually because I should be at between 6-12w or so at 95% not 30w! I think my phone just had a badly binned battery from the start and while I still can make it through a day without having to recharge, I have to really try to be able to do that I can't just do what I normally do otherwise I'm recharging up to two times a day if I have no regard for my battery life. So it seems like just about everybody else is getting the correct advertised wattage or at least close enough but hopefully you guys aren't using apps to measure because that's by far the most inaccurate reading you could get from a accuracy standpoint. When I use the inline expensive one and open up Accu battery they are sometimes 7-10 watts apart from each other and Accu battery even admits now that they can't detect anything over five volts anymore so that's why no matter what you plug into it will always say five volts. I just need this phone to last me until the S24 Ultra so just a few more months hopefully. I don't see why it won't It's not like I have any battery bulge or anything and Samsung reports my battery health as good still.
userFl0BkoFr0z
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
P2p I 2z e