JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Android System Update, turn off automatic download

(Topic created: 03-22-2022 05:58 PM)
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
While at work last wk my pants pocket (phone pocket) became incredibly warm. Thought I was imagining it, but when I grabbed my S22 Ultra a minute later it was very warm. I found that it was downloading the first major software update. I figure the warmth was from being in my pocket + the case I have on it + downloading over 5G with a weak signal (not good in my workplace). I would never download a system update unless I was at home on Wi-Fi - I know Android software updates don't count against data for us non-unlimited data dummies, but I do prefer to have the phone in open space and charging while downloading/installing a big update. So may as well use Wi-Fi lol. My question: how do I turn off the auto-download for Android system/software updates? I'd prefer just a notice of availability so I can manually start the download later.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Someone commented a suggestion but it looks to have disappeared. I didn't want to respond until I had a chance to test it: it works, but is still far from ideal.

This Vz-locked S22U: if "Smart Update" is utilized then I can ensure at least that system updates don't download and install while I'm at work/not on Wi-Fi/in a building with weak mobile signal that'll cause the phone to heat up while downloading a large update from my jeans pocket. This function is different than I remember it being: I had "Smart Update" on unlocked devices and I'm sure that it still let you manually download whenever you wanted - the option just delayed installation until a pre-set time. Whelp, doesn't work this way now.

The May security update that was released a couple days ago downloaded during the time frame I set for "Smart Update" so it occurred while I was at home and asleep. Still not ideal b/c it happens w/o warning. Luckily I had sufficient chr arge on the phone, as I don't charge while sleeping; I changed the time to when I'd be awake - if I see it start w/low charge I can plug it in - but I worry it could still download/update during a rare occasion where I might be out & about. What if I have a late night drive & am relying on GPS nav, and suddenly the phone automatically shuts down to install an update?

Anyway "Smart Update" is the solution to this problem. But it's still a cruddy option to have to rely upon - why is there not an ad hoc dow load option available?

If the poster who origi ally suggested using "Smart Update," whose comments disappeared, sees this: thanks so much for the recommendation.

View solution in context

21 Replies
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
You should be able to disable the automatic firmware update via mobile data by turning off the settings in the software update menu make sure that it set to wifi only
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
I'm not seeing the option you describe. There's a Smart Update option, which you'll see is turned off and was also turned off when the system update auto-downloaded. Am I misunderstanding where to look/what to click?Screenshot_20220322-212027_System updates.jpg
0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
I believe that you have a Verizon locked phone and I believe you can try opening the Play Store app, press the three dashes in the upper left-hand corner, and tap Settings.  Tap Auto-Update Apps and change it to Do Not Auto-Update Apps or to Auto-Update Apps Over W-Fi Only.
Unimatrix_1
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Lol.. that sounded like a Hot topic to me 🤙
0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Good catch, it is Vz-locked. Already had those options set as such. Didn't have app download set to Wi-Fi only so did just change that as well. Guess we'll see; I appreciate your responses!
0 Likes
Unimatrix_1
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
If you are at work you shouldn't be trying to use their Network on your mobile device. I do hope you realize you're being tracked. I would advise you to take your device home and update and do with what you want there.
0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
No, I was at home when taking the screen shot & thus on personal network.
0 Likes
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
What is smart update in the screenshot?

Also I see 3 dots in the right corner, what is there?

0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Smart Update allows for a system update to auto-install at a designated time. So instead of having to manually start it after it has downloaded, you can set to auto - install only while you're asleep, for instance. But the setting only applies to installing and has no impact on the update auto-downloading.

"Three dots" here is to access Permissions for Software Update (Location, Nearby Devices, Storage).