JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Android System Update, turn off automatic download

(Topic created: 04-13-2022 12:06 PM)
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
While at work last wk my pants pocket (phone pocket) became incredibly warm. Thought I was imagining it, but when I grabbed my S22 Ultra a minute later it was very warm. I found that it was downloading the first major software update. I figure the warmth was from being in my pocket + the case I have on it + downloading over 5G with a weak signal (not good in my workplace). I would never download a system update unless I was at home on Wi-Fi - I know Android software updates don't count against data for us non-unlimited data dummies, but I do prefer to have the phone in open space and charging while downloading/installing a big update. So may as well use Wi-Fi lol. My question: how do I turn off the auto-download for Android system/software updates? I'd prefer just a notice of availability so I can manually start the download later.
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
I see. Maybe you could enable developer settings and see if that would help.

0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
I suppose I could check there. My concern is why would it be necessary to augment from there, when it hasn't been previously? Seems odd that the option would be hidden or actually taken away, allowing a system update to download anytime/anywhere outside of your control. Maybe it's just an odd lockout on the Vz-locked version? My last two Samsung phones were unlocked, and had the menu option that @user_ams007 suggested checking for.
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
The carrier branded phones do have their own customizations and it is possible that VZW chose to remove some options.

Here is the option in my unlocked S22 on T-mobile network. Screenshot_20220323-181143_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Taylor21
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I'm trying to disable automatic software on my Samsung S22 T-Mobile and I do not have the option you are showing. I have nowhere to toggle off. Could the option be somewhere else that I'm not seeing? Why would I not have the option to disable? TIA
0 Likes
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
I upgraded recently to s23 and still have the toggle to turn off auto updates. I own an unlocked model, maybe if you have t-mobile branded phone, then the toggle isn't there?

Taylor21
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I looked everywhere and Google. I'll have to call then tomorrow. Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate it!
LowkeyB369
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Work wifi is absolutely garbage but I didn't know they track you
0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
They can (and almost always do, in some degree, despite what they may say). In my office, they come down on ppl who use high bandwidth on the work Wi-Fi - streaming Netflix, for example. WHO can see what varies: no one in my office can access the nitty gritty (I'm IT), but our national IT has a group responsible for monitoring and they collect all activities. I'd say if you're reading Yahoo or ESPN or checking the weather then no prob; but would not use for online banking or commenting negatively about the workplace on Twitter or FB (Meta?).
0 Likes
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
So, folks: it happened again today. Latest system update automatically downloaded while I was in the office. I noticed it b/c I felt my thigh start to bake again where my phone was in my pocket.

I noticed that it turned my Wi-Fi on. But b/c I was at work and do not use my job's Wi-Fi, the phone wasn't able to connect to it and downloaded over network instead. And with the poor 4G/worse 5G signal in my office, that meant a slow crawl that heated the phone up since it was in my pocket. I took it out so it could breathe and it cooled down a bit, but generally stayed warm until the download finished (I could've turned the mobile connection off but chose to let things proceed).

The prior suggestion and actions I performed in Google Play Store did not resolve. The Software Update section in Settings still does not offer an option to turn auto-download off. No such settings found in Developer Settings.

Anyone have other ideas? Am I the only Vz-locked S22 Ultra owner experiencing this??
0 Likes
Solution
TUBuckeye29
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Someone commented a suggestion but it looks to have disappeared. I didn't want to respond until I had a chance to test it: it works, but is still far from ideal.

This Vz-locked S22U: if "Smart Update" is utilized then I can ensure at least that system updates don't download and install while I'm at work/not on Wi-Fi/in a building with weak mobile signal that'll cause the phone to heat up while downloading a large update from my jeans pocket. This function is different than I remember it being: I had "Smart Update" on unlocked devices and I'm sure that it still let you manually download whenever you wanted - the option just delayed installation until a pre-set time. Whelp, doesn't work this way now.

The May security update that was released a couple days ago downloaded during the time frame I set for "Smart Update" so it occurred while I was at home and asleep. Still not ideal b/c it happens w/o warning. Luckily I had sufficient chr arge on the phone, as I don't charge while sleeping; I changed the time to when I'd be awake - if I see it start w/low charge I can plug it in - but I worry it could still download/update during a rare occasion where I might be out & about. What if I have a late night drive & am relying on GPS nav, and suddenly the phone automatically shuts down to install an update?

Anyway "Smart Update" is the solution to this problem. But it's still a cruddy option to have to rely upon - why is there not an ad hoc dow load option available?

If the poster who origi ally suggested using "Smart Update," whose comments disappeared, sees this: thanks so much for the recommendation.