Original topic:

App sound settings

(Topic created: 08-14-2022 12:49 PM)
userbi6ic3gMRI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Why must I use Zedge to set my notifications and ring tones? What happened to the default that was apart of the android os? How can I get that back? I don't think that it is right to be forced to give a third party app permissions to different folders on my device just so I can set sounds that are already on my device. And even if I was OK with it being YOUR (Samsung Company) default for this, tell me why oh why must I see adds or have to pay to not see them when all I am trying to do is set a custom notification sound? 

UODATE: I was able to resolve the issue. It was an issue in the os with a part of the program called SecSoundPicker. It wasn't recognizing any media audio files in the notifications folder or the systems folder for notification sounds. So the os dafulted to third party apps that were installed. Even after I unistalled the third party app in hopes of forcing it to use the system default, it would tell me to go get a third party app to use. Very frustrating bug to chase down in the long run and fix. Even more so when customer service isnt at a skill level to handle issues like this, not their fault, but still frustrating nonetheless. 

10 Replies
ChaosSaber
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
I have no issues with setting notifications and I don't use any 3rd party app
0 Likes
userbi6ic3gMRI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Are you setting custom notifications inside an app? Like for discord or steam chat?
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
Yeah I can do each app, you just go to apps under settings
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
0 Likes
userbi6ic3gMRI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Yeah it wouldn't let me do that. That screen isn't there when I try to customize it. I resolved the issue though. That selection screen is run by part of the os call SecSoundPicker. It wasn't recognizing any of the media audio files in the notifications folder. Once I resolved that issue, I was able to see that screen and select a custom tone or one of the pre-installed tones.
0 Likes
ixtasis
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Must you? I choose to sometimes. I've never been forced to m
0 Likes
userbi6ic3gMRI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Well I must if the only option is a third party app. If it wasnt the only option that came up I would have this thing called options or choices of more than one to select from. One that is the default system selection for setting them or a third party app that could be used instead. The only thing I was given a choice to use was a third party app. If you use an app to change settings on the phone it is going to need permissions to do so. This, I thought was clear in what I posted. Forgive me if it wasn't. I hope this made it clearer.
0 Likes
mdavidf
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
You may have inadvertently set Zedge as the default app for sounds.
0 Likes
userbi6ic3gMRI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Nope. That wasn't the issue. I thought the same thing at first but it ended up being a system os issue with SecSoundPicker. Once I resolved that issue, it started to recognize the media in the notifications folder. The frustrating part is that I had to figure it out on my own to resolve it. Customer support had no clue and told me that it was the app I was trying to customize. It wasn't until they did a remote connection and saw that even the messages app that was Samsung wouldn't allow custom notifications that they believed there might be an issue but had no clue as to what it might be.