JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Application Specific Notification Sounds no longer available on the S22 Ultra

(Topic created: 02-24-2022 11:17 AM)
user5SOtcVCSLL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

With every Galaxy phone I have owned since the S5 I have been able to have different notification sounds for different apps, for instance I set a custom notification sounds for email, sms, gmail, and several other apps. That way if my phone was not in my hand and work email came in through Exchange I would here the specific ringtone and know to check it. However if the sound was for gmail of facebook messanger maybe I would wait to check it. 

Now fast forward to Feb 2022, and I get my shiny new S22 Ultra and spend the better part of 2 hours trying to figure out where those settings went? This seems like a major step back for the Galaxy brand. Why would this feature be removed? I cannot be the only person that prefers to have different sounds for different apps. 

This is so frustrating for me that I am considering returning the S22 and getting a phone that still allows this. 

I did open a ticket with support last night but based on that conversation it sounds like that ticket will go into the blackhole of unresolved development requests. 

Can someone explain why this feature was removed, was it a mistake that will be fixed? I sure hope so. Please help me understand why I have to regress 10 years to have the latest flagship Samsung phone? Thanks.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user6IGzyTHkVM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

After further testing, uninstalling the app and reinstalling it again gets rid of the problem. As the installations were performed as part of the automatic transfer from my old Note 8, it would appear to be a bug in SmartSwitch.

Naturally, uninstalling, reinstalling and setting up again for all the affected apps is a major pain!

Should anyone from Samsung be looking at these posts, please forward this bug to the SmartSwitch development team!

View solution in context

4 Replies
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
You are able to set custom sounds but it's buried in the app settings instead now.

Go to app info, tap notifications, notification categories, then you would want on any where but the toggle so tap on the word and you will have options to set custom sounds for that notification. Screenshot_20220224-143245_SecSoundPicker.jpgScreenshot_20220224-143225_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20220224-143735_Settings_15845_1645731455.jpg
userRulSulgss9
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

This feature still exists albeit, a bit more cumbersome to navigate.

0 Likes
user6IGzyTHkVM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

While this shows how to add custom notifications to apps, the problem is that the system has overwritten the apps' own sounds, so everything now sounds the same.

I've just gone into my old phone and the specific apps don't seem to have a named audio file that I can copy over and reconfigure as the "new" custom sound for the app.

So is there a way to force the phone to allow apps to use their own sounds if they have them? Better still to recover the sounds that they originally had?

Solution
user6IGzyTHkVM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

After further testing, uninstalling the app and reinstalling it again gets rid of the problem. As the installations were performed as part of the automatic transfer from my old Note 8, it would appear to be a bug in SmartSwitch.

Naturally, uninstalling, reinstalling and setting up again for all the affected apps is a major pain!

Should anyone from Samsung be looking at these posts, please forward this bug to the SmartSwitch development team!