JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Numerous Android apps continually crash after launching -- PLEASE HELP!

(Topic created: 11-14-2022 12:52 PM)
codeslinga
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Hello,

For whatever reason, I started noticing at least 5 or 6 apps I use on a regular basis crashing every single time I would start them or if they required internet access in order to pre-populate on-screen fields or menus.  I'm running Android 13 on my S22 Ultra (Verizon) and have NEVER had an issue like this until this morning.

Here is a list of the apps I've confirmed this with:

• Google App (Latest)
  • Google Keyboard (Latest)
  • GMail (Latest)
  • Flow Free (Game - Latest)
  • Flow Free Bridges (Game - Latest)
  • Flow Free Warps (Game - Latest)
  • Etc.

There are others showing this behavior, but this group is sufficient enough to make my point.

The only way I've been able to resolve this issue is to reboot the phone.  Once the reboot is complete, I am able to revisit the apps and use them as I normally would, but within 30 or 40 minutes the problem is back, again.  I've never seen anything like it.

When apps try spinning up in the background, a dialog gets displayed asking if I want to clear that app's cache in order to remedy its issue.  When I confirm I want to do that and the cache gets cleaned, it doesn't fix the problem and the app crashes, anyway.

I am hoping someone else has encountered this issue who can help shed some light on what's happening, here?  I suspect there is a common module being used by these apps and that module is having problems which in turn is affecting all other modules which use it?  I have no way of knowing what that module could be, though?

I wanted to post this here before I started shooting in the dark by creating Android error reports and sending them.  I have no reason to believe anyone really ever sees the reports I send via that channel.

Is there a better way to escalate something like this?  All feedback is very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Marcus Harris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
codeslinga
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my request for help!  It turns out the information you shared did help me to resolve this problem (at least it appears to have solved it).

Here is what I found out:

1. I was already running a beta version of the Android System Webview app on my device.  I withdrew from the beta and uninstalled that version as my first step toward resolving this issue.  (Thanks, @NPC1!)

2. Next, I was able to clear the device cache per the instructions I found online and rebooted the phone (Thanks, @egor0128!).

3. Finally, I installed the non-beta version of Android System WebView and rebooted the phone once more for good measure.  Since then, everything has been functioning as expected w/no issues.

If this problem comes back in the next 24 hours (or so), I'll come back to this post and provide a new update.  If not, please accept my sincere thanks and enjoy the rest of your week!

Marcus

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
egor0128
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Ok do you now how to clean cache .you have to go into recovery. You also have a repair apps that you can try. I'm guessing here give it a try
codeslinga
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Thanks for your reply!  I'm aware of per-app cache cleaning and I do that all the time (when necessary).  I don't think I've ever had to clean the main device cache, though?

I'll see what I can find out and try it.  If it works, I'll add the instructions, here.

0 Likes
NPC1
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
Check to see what version of Android System Webview you have. Then try downloading the beta version of that in the playstore and see if that fixes your issues (Same exact issue I was having and same apps Gmail). These apps depend on the Android System Webview app.
codeslinga
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Will do!  That's a great idea!

I'm running WebView version 108.0.5359.22.  I'll do some Google searches from my laptop to see if there are any issues being reported for this version.  When I try using the Google app to do it from my phone, it won't accept any characters and then crashes.

0 Likes
egor0128
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Ok if you go to youtube and look how to boot into recovery that would be a start. Check it out. I hope you get another opinion I'm always learning out here. Search example. S22ultra. Recovery mode clear cache. Learn how to work the menu it's pretty easy
codeslinga
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Will do!  Thanks again!

0 Likes
egor0128
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
This cleans everything. And. Repair apps might do the trick. Good luck
Solution
codeslinga
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my request for help!  It turns out the information you shared did help me to resolve this problem (at least it appears to have solved it).

Here is what I found out:

1. I was already running a beta version of the Android System Webview app on my device.  I withdrew from the beta and uninstalled that version as my first step toward resolving this issue.  (Thanks, @NPC1!)

2. Next, I was able to clear the device cache per the instructions I found online and rebooted the phone (Thanks, @egor0128!).

3. Finally, I installed the non-beta version of Android System WebView and rebooted the phone once more for good measure.  Since then, everything has been functioning as expected w/no issues.

If this problem comes back in the next 24 hours (or so), I'll come back to this post and provide a new update.  If not, please accept my sincere thanks and enjoy the rest of your week!

Marcus

0 Likes