JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Cellular Network Connectivity issues (as a public service)

(Topic created: 09-13-2023 07:32 AM)
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
Earlier this year, I started a thread on some network connectivity issues I'd been having. Short version...still happening. It became more interesting when the same thing started happening on the bride's S23U. We are both unlocked from Samsung. The issues are:

1) occasional difficulty receiving calls - mostly they go straight to voicemail, though sometimes the caller gets the network beep, beep, beep indicator
2) occasional difficulty receiving texts - won't receive the text(s) until you restart the phone
3) less frequently, inability to send texts, unless you restart the phone

These issues have been a problem, as you might imagine, if it's a call from work, or an emergency call from a family member.....and this has happened more than once. We've tried to trouble-shoot by converting to eSIM, using WiFi calling, wiping cache partition and repairing apps. The obvious problem with any of those efforts is that it's occurring on multiple devices, not just a single phone.

We're running on TMO sims, and until this year, we have never had a problem with them. SO, I got TMO involved. I've been dealing with their technical support for a little over a week now. It's agreed that the devices are not the problem. Software is up-to-date, etc. The towers are running just fine (per the TMO engineers). We only experience this problem while at home...no signal extender/booster required. Very strong 5GUC signal at the house.

Diagnosis: TMO is speculating that we are located equidistant between two competing towers, and our phones are bouncing back and forth while looking for the strongest signal.

I have another follow-up call with support later this week. I'll update this post at that time.
6 Replies
Coollanderbreeze
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
I have the same problem today. Is there a time frame when the issue will be resolved?
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
I'll be updating this post soon. I have a follow up with TMO today. 🤞🏻
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22

UPDATE (final😞 My phone (and my bride's) started acting up with abandon a few days ago. Specifically, network issues. I missed a call from my attorney, my brother, and the bride missed a call from our son. Yesterday with TMO technical support, their only solution was the information that a new tower is scheduled to be installed in our area first quarter of 2024. Obviously, that isn't a solution. Secondarily, the tech walked me through the following steps: settings > connections > mobile networks > network operators > select automatically (default toggled on).

He directed me to toggle that off, and when the TMO network populated in the list below to select that.
Restart the device.
After 3 hours, or so, go back in and toggle on Select Automatically. (I did this on both phones)
By doing this, we "reregistered" with the TMO network.

Meanwhile, he performed a network refresh for both of our devices. He was persuaded that we would see marked improvement. Interestingly, while I was on the phone with him, he was looking at my bride's device and noticed she was having real difficulty/instability with the network.

IF this fixes the problem, this is my last post on this subject. If not, we'll pick back up where we started. I hope this information is helpful.

Solution
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22

FINAL FINAL

The refresh/re-register with the TMO network did not work. As an aside, my bride is a guardian ad litem in the CPS system here in Texas. Last night, one of the girls in her charge called. That call did not come through. Thankfully it wasn't an emergency, and she was able to leave a voicemail. That was the final straw. We moved to AT&T this morning. I'm not angry with TMO and didn't want to make this change. However, this was no longer tenable. This chapter's closed.

Nodaway
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Same thing happening with me interestingly I moved from att to T-Mobile family plan and that's when it all started. I think it's the devices software? I have a brother with an S20 and his phone works flawlessly. It's a shame to have a trade in a phone only 3 months old.
CMart2342
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
My s23 ultra has been doing the same thing since I first got it in April of 23. Ice had 4 replacement phones and they all produce the same problems. My family has att but with other phones and have not had the same issues.
0 Likes