Original topic:

Contacts deleted after update

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
harisbrown
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Anyone else have contacts deleted after this last update? Most of contacts seem to be here, but some contacts are missing important information I put into notes. For example, my wife is missing but I have an entry with just her email and my own personal profile is missing info like the emergency Healthcare info. Of course my speed dial are gone too. Another whopper of a problem is, my backups apparently don't contain this information or is somehow being blocked from being restored. 
14 Replies
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

Go to the contacts app, click on the left 3 line menu and make sure "all contacts" is in the little window. If not, change it. You could also check contacts.google.com and see if they synced there. They should have.

0 Likes
harisbrown
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
No luck so far. Restore isn't bringing them back, the contacts list is showing all, and no contact info at all in contacts.google.com. The only other thing of note regarding this problem is it appears to be all of my oldest contacts. My own entry is there under phone contacts for example but it's missing all of my new info like address. My wife, mother, and brother are gone along with friends, coworkers, and clients. This is all contact info that has survived every phone upgrade or lost/damaged device before, so what happened to my backups? Anyone know if there is a way to read the backup file to see what info is inside?
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

If they were your oldest contacts, were they perhaps contained on your SIM card? Have you recently changed SIM cards without having the data on it copied?  One of the reasons Google contacts came into being, is because in the days when it was not so easy to switch carriers or phones - people would wait forever to change phones, because moving contacts was a big, and I mean big, hassle.  Once the government mandated making switching carriers easier people still wouldn't switch because of the contact copying issue.  People also wouldn't buy new phones because of - you guessed it - moving contacts.  With the advent of being able to keep your contacts in the cloud, one no longer was at the mercy of having to copy contacts from one phone/SIM to another.  Android phones automatically sync with Google, and their contacts go with them from carrier to carrier and phone to phone. If your older contacts were still on your SIM and you changed SIMS (even going from physical SIM to e-SIM) the contacts wouldn't have necessarily followed unless you manually moved them.  I don't understand why they wouldn't have synced with Google, though, unless you turned Google sync off.

I don't know what else could have caused your contacts to disappear, and I really hope you can get them back or recreate them. I don't think the backup is readable, but if you did a restore and they didn't come back, then they were probably not retained in the backup.  You could try factory reset, and upon restart, click the box and let Google restore its backup (the only way to restore a Google backup is upon initial setup, and you have to click the option to restore.)

If you still have an old device that's working - with those contacts on it, you can use Smart Switch to move that data over. I don' t remember if you can selectively move, but Smart Switch will only move what's not already on your phone.

If you recover any of your stuff, I recommend making a safety backup to an external device of your entire phone, or just your contacts. I would also suggest moving all your contacts into Google, which would make them accessible anytime, anywhere through a web browser.

0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

When you checked to see if all contacts were showing, did you happen to look in the trash to see if the contacts somehow  ended up there?

Screenshot_20240625_132614_Contacts.jpg

0 Likes
harisbrown
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks, I never even noticed the trash was there. Lucky for me, it looks like they did get deleted for some reason.
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
Now back them up somewhere for insurance. You can usually export as a CSV file. Or you can bac up to an externsl device with smart switch, or copy/move them to Google contacts (20 years and I haven't lost a contact from there)
0 Likes
userauzTric9EO
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I am having similar issues today. Woke up on contacts ar3 gone. Tried backup and it doesn't restore from samsung cloud and not showing up in google contacts is more bizarre
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

Did you check the trash in the contacts app (not the contacts tab in the dialer)? As suggested above, if you still have a previous device that is working, try transferring the contacts over using Smart Switch.

0 Likes
userauzTric9EO
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Yeah did that. Went through all trash. Samsung cloud contact shows 414 contacts and when I back it up for some reason only backs up 220.
0 Likes