JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Finding out notification channel/category from which an app is sending notification?

(Topic created: 11-11-2022 10:03 PM)
nityoday
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

In the Samsung S22 Plus, is it possible to find out that which notification category an app is using to send  specific notification?

An app is sending me scammy notifications, but I cannot disable the notifications of that whole app because some notifications are important. I can see it has 3 categories of notifcation channels named "default", "chat channel", and "internet chat channel". Is there a way to find out that a notification is coming from which category?

In my old OnePlus, if I hold the notification, I can see the category it is using to send it, however I am unable to find a solution for Samsung device. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
nityoday
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

@A107 I found two solutions to this problem myself:

1. Enable notification history from settings, then, as soon as the target notification arrives, head to your notification history menu and click on that notification. You should be redirected to that specific notification's category settings page; OR
  2. As soon as the target notification arrives, go the that app's settings page, head to notifications, and go to notification categories, then start turning off  the notifications of all categories one by one, until you see that the target notification has disappeared. That is your notification category, click on it to view its settings, and then you re-enable the other categories which you had previously turned off;

View solution in context

6 Replies
A107
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I don't have this type of phone but I'm having the same problem with my Samsung galaxy A03s
0 Likes
Solution
nityoday
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

@A107 I found two solutions to this problem myself:

1. Enable notification history from settings, then, as soon as the target notification arrives, head to your notification history menu and click on that notification. You should be redirected to that specific notification's category settings page; OR
  2. As soon as the target notification arrives, go the that app's settings page, head to notifications, and go to notification categories, then start turning off  the notifications of all categories one by one, until you see that the target notification has disappeared. That is your notification category, click on it to view its settings, and then you re-enable the other categories which you had previously turned off;
TechnoStud
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks for presenting these work arounds until Samsung fixes this. Hopefully, Samsung incorporates the much easier behavior/solution that I mention later in this post. 😉
Jeffc73OC
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22

I found in the notification history if you long press the notification it will take you to the category in the settings. 🙂

0 Likes
thejaustin
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Disappointingly, before OneUI 5, there was a perfect solution to this issue. Simply by Holding down the notification and selecting settings it would open to notification categories instead of the main notification tab. It would then flicker whichever category the notification was from. Made it incredibly easy to detect which notification came from what category. I miss my simplicity and don't know why it was removed... I usually use FilterBox or Buzzkill to check the category instead. Two fantastic third-party apps for Android.
TechnoStud
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes, on my Galaxy S9 (way before One UI 5), when I used to long press a notification to change its settings, it would bring me right to the notification category page and highlight the category that particular notification was from.

Now, on my Galaxy S21, when I long press on a notification and choose Settings, it drops me at the general, overriding notification settings for that app. I then need to take the extra step by tapping on notification categories and try to guess which category that particular notification was from in order to change its settings.

I'm guessing that this is a suggestion for the Samsung UI Developers, but perhaps it's a suggestion for Google Android in general. Does anyone know what the controlling code is for this particular behavior?

Long story short, when you tap Settings on a particular notification, you should be taken to the specific Category of that notification and not the general app notification settings.

Is this the best place to make a feature suggestion like this, or should we post this somewhere else?

I have many apps that have over a dozen notification category channels. It's often tricky to know which category generated a particular notification. Sometimes I want to mute that particular category, change the sound assigned to it, etc.