Original topic:

How do I turn on Wi-Fi calling based on my internet connection?

(Topic created: 11-06-2023 08:06 AM)
DaUrge57
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Is there a way for Wi-Fi calling to automatically turn on based on my internet connection's SSID?

There's one place I am at often, where the cellular service is really terrible. So when I'm there, I want to use Wi-Fi calling. But when I leave that location, I wanted to turn off automatically.

Thanks for any help.
6 Replies
JBTechfanatic
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
When activated it will only turn on when you're in locations where you have saved connection to their Wi-Fi. simply turn it on in your settings and connect to their Wi-Fi. Now anytime you enter location it will turn on and when you leave it will go to Cellular. Until you are in an area with saved Wi-Fi. You can see you're saved Wi-Fi locations under your Wi-Fi settings in your phone.
0 Likes
DaUrge57
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks, but I don't wanted to turn on every time I go to a different location that has a saved Wi-Fi connection. Only this particular one.
The reason I don't want it in other locations, is because if I'm on the phone, on a Wi-Fi call, and I walk too far from the router, the call starts to lose its distance, and sometimes the call can drop.
0 Likes
userMS6QGmFaqU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Or u don't want ut location located
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@DaUrge57 I think that you can do this by combining a Touch macro with a Routine. To do this you will need Samsung's Good Lock installed. It is free and you can find it on the Galaxy Store. 

In Good Lock,

1. Click on Routines +
  2. Click on Run a touch macro
  3. You can leave the "If" part set to "Start manually..."
  4. Under the "Then" section click on Touch macro
  5. Click on Add
  6. Scroll down and click on Settings
  7. Click on Next
  8. On the floating control panel, click on Record
  9. Click on Connections
  10. Click on the Wi-Fi calling switch on the right of the "Wi-Fi Calling" text.
  11. Click Stop on the floating control panel.
  12. Click on Save on the floating control panel
  13. Enter a name for it like "Toggle Wi-Fi calling"
  14. Click on Save
  15. Click the circle by your new Touch macro to select it.
  16. At the bottom right of the screen, click on Done.
  17. Optional step... If you click the icon, you can edit the name and icon color
  18. Click save in the bottom right corner.
  19. You can choose to add it to the home screen or click cancel. There is no need to have it on the home screen for the routine to work. 

Now open phone settings

1. Click on Modes and routines
  2. Click on Routines in bottom right
  3. Click the + sign near the top of the screen
  4. Under the IF text click the + sign.
  5. Click on Wi-Fi network
  6. Click Add
  7. Select the network that you want to trigger this action
  8. Click Done in lower right
  9. Click the + sign under Then
  10. In the search field, search for the text "macro"
  11. Select Touch macro
  12. Select the new touch macro that you just created.
  13. Click Done in lower right.
  14. Click Save in lower right.
  15. Enter a name for your new routine or use the default one. 
  16. Click on Done

There are a couple of issues with this approach.

1. The touch macro toggles the Wi-Fi calling. So if it was on, it will be turned off, etc. I found no way to specify that it be set to ON.
  2. The routine does not invoke the touch macro when you leave the Wi-Fi network. So it will toggle Wi-Fi calling when you join that specified Wi-Fi network but not toggle it when you leave that network. Normally there is a "When routine ends" section to a routine. But for some reason, this time this section was not created. 

You may want to play around with it and see if you can come up with a 100% solution. 

DaUrge57
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I hope all that info was copy/paste? 😀
Thanks, I'll check it out!
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
I just have mine set to Wi-Fi Preferred, so that whenever I'm connected to a Wi-Fi it comes on. I have wi-fi calling through AT&T. Screenshot_20231106_140827_Modes and Routines.jpg
0 Likes