JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Increasing RAM on phone

(Topic created: 12-30-2022 03:32 AM)
RyuGalaxyFan
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
If I increase the RAM on my S22 Ultra (options being 2, 4, 6, or 😎 will it drain your battery faster? I've heard the phone will perform super fast by increasing the RAM use, but i was wondering If it would zap the battery life (day to day use) by doing so

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@RyuGalaxyFan RAM Plus uses part of your storage as additional temporary RAM. Access to storage is slower than access to RAM and probably uses more energy. Even with that, I doubt that it would decrease your battery life significantly. 

BTW, Samsung's Good Guardians (available in the Galaxy Store) has a module called Memory Guardian. After you install that, you can open it and click on History. It will show you your RAM usage. You may find that you have no need to increase the RAM Plussetting. 

View solution in context

12 Replies
Jetster
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Well technically, yes. Because ram is used to store temporary files, it takes energy/electricity to store those files. So the more ram the quicker the battery would go down. But even if you reduce the ram the rate of electricity being used will barely change. I have an S21 Ultra and I have the max ram set to 6 and I get 12 gb ram and the battery still lasts a while.
RyuGalaxyFan
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
I appreciate the info I had thought about increasing it but didn't wanna lose battery life faster mine is currently set at 4
Jetster
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
It barely makes a difference on battery life.
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@RyuGalaxyFan RAM Plus uses part of your storage as additional temporary RAM. Access to storage is slower than access to RAM and probably uses more energy. Even with that, I doubt that it would decrease your battery life significantly. 

BTW, Samsung's Good Guardians (available in the Galaxy Store) has a module called Memory Guardian. After you install that, you can open it and click on History. It will show you your RAM usage. You may find that you have no need to increase the RAM Plussetting. 

RyuGalaxyFan
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
I'll definitely check it out and see it goes! Thank you everyone for the helpful tips and insight!
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
Having a S22 Ultra there really is no need for you to use Ram Plus I also have S22 Ultra and as soon as they allowed us to turn it off thats what I did
RyuGalaxyFan
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
How do you turn it off?
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

The option to turn Ram Plus off came with OneUI5/Android 13. Are you still on Android 12?

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
RyuGalaxyFan
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
I'm not sure I'll have to look really quick I know I've updated alot since I got this phone this past year
0 Likes