JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't get Samsung messages to work on my S22 Ultra

(Topic created: 06-01-2022 02:41 AM)
ChristinaMH
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

I've had my Ultra s22 for a few months now. Still not liking or getting used to the Google messaging. Hate that it's the default. Tried a million different times to get the Samsung messenger, but doesn't let me. Guess I better get used to it. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Bruzeta
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Change to Samsung Messaging
Navigate to and open Settings, and then tap Apps. Tap Choose default apps, and then tap SMS app.

Select your desired message app. In this case tap Samsung Messages, the icon with the three horizontal dots. (Mine has 2 message icons.)

Select your desired message app. In this case tap Samsung Messages, the icon with the three horizontal dots.

Your changes will be applied automatically, and you can begin using your preferred app to send texts and group messages.

NOTES:
You may need to grant permissions (SMS, Contacts, Media, Make Calls, etc.) when you switch messaging apps.

If you usually open your message app with a shortcut on your home screen, or from your favorite apps section of the home screen, you'll need to replace the shortcut to the old app with a shortcut to the new one.

View solution in context

22 Replies
Solution
Bruzeta
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Change to Samsung Messaging
Navigate to and open Settings, and then tap Apps. Tap Choose default apps, and then tap SMS app.

Select your desired message app. In this case tap Samsung Messages, the icon with the three horizontal dots. (Mine has 2 message icons.)

Select your desired message app. In this case tap Samsung Messages, the icon with the three horizontal dots.

Your changes will be applied automatically, and you can begin using your preferred app to send texts and group messages.

NOTES:
You may need to grant permissions (SMS, Contacts, Media, Make Calls, etc.) when you switch messaging apps.

If you usually open your message app with a shortcut on your home screen, or from your favorite apps section of the home screen, you'll need to replace the shortcut to the old app with a shortcut to the new one.
ChristinaMH
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Um ya, I've tried. Doesn't let me.
0 Likes
Tom6068
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
This may be carrier specific then. What about Google messages that you don't like?

I find it far better and more customizable than the Samsung default version.

Anyway, talk to your carrier to see if they only allow RCS type messaging apps. RCS is going to be the default soon.
StannFresh
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Strange. Then you should either disable Google message or reset the phone
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
I haven't heard of the carrier forcing them to use Google at default. That would be a big thing.
0 Likes
krayzie15
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Ya I personally think Google messages is leaps and bounds above Samsung messages
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
depends on what you need the messages app to do. in my case, Samsung Messages is way more functional than Google.
ChristinaMH
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
On some sites I can't share info on Google msgs. Like when I'm on Bookings.com and want to send a place to share to someone, it doesn't let me. It then says I need to switch to SMS messenging, which I've tried.
Sdg
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Didn't know the default for the s22 was Google messaging but it doesn't sound right that it wouldn't let you switch back the above comment should help you
0 Likes