Original topic:

OneUI 6.1's worst change

(Topic created: a month ago)
chemswede
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
It's crazy, I know but I actually use the 3 position swipe up gestures on my phone for navigation. A cool feature that made Samsung stand out. In OneUI 6.1 Samsung removed the 3 position swipe up from bottom navigation gesture. Stupid. After years of using it like this they remove it in a point release. Samsung is trying to be Apple and simply assuming they know how you want to use the phone. Actually, probably worse than Apple as Apple has been adding more features recently rather than taking them away.

Having to get Good Lock and Navstar just to get it back is stupid. 

Sorry, I'm just giving my feedback in case there is a slight chance they consider user feedback. 
12 Replies
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
I understand the frustration of having the feature removed but..

1.It's a Google mandated change
2. They're using Android stock gestures, not copying Apple
3. Those 3 position swipe gestures weren't Samsung specific, they were used by OnePlus and several other OEMs as far back as 6 or 7yrs ago
4. You can get them back very easily with the Samsung proprietary app GoodLock. The instructions have been listed in this forum probably 100 times
0 Likes
chemswede
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Re #4. Read my 2nd paragraph in the original post.
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Read #1 of my reply
0 Likes
posted88
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
I got the update and that gesture option still there
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
Having to use Goodlock and the NavStar module may sound stupid to you, but the fact remains that Google mandated this change due to circle to search. They, after all, are the owners of the platform.

They let Samsung have a backdoor to give you the ability to get it back.

Samsung has considered customer feedback within weeks they came up with a workaround for you to have it back.

Your choice!
0 Likes
MKlas
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

And why not just add a second samsung official swipe gesture? 

0 Likes
Ihatethis99
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

I'm tired of all the drama between tech, brands, politics, and, all that b.s. I never asked for Google circle and don't want it, I also never asked for all this a.i. b.s. so with a 3 year old phone that I've had the whole time after 1 update re learn what my phone can and can't do delete the apps the update installed, get new apps to make my phone more like it was before and go though my settings for hours trying to make it like it was before instead of having this new stuff off and have the ability to turn it on yourself but no I got done updating my phone and practically had a new phone I could hardly navigate through cause the new nav that was put on and all new settings that were turned on and the fact my keyboard was raised an inch so typing sucked for the first day or 2 until I fixed it. If you get rid of the speak to text in the nav bar bur make it where you hold space to activate it you still can't use it cause it's not in your nav bar and since I took my nav bar off it would try to pop up when I had my keyboard up and would only have the speak to text I  the corner even tho I've turned all the ai stuff off it's still on my keyboard taking space so I turned speak to text off and will never he able to use it again without my entire keyboard rasing up an inch 

Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Sir it's not "drama" between tech brands. I'm sorry for the frustration this has caused for users, but there's a few simple fixes. Android is always going to change with updates.
Personally, I've found Gboard to be significantly better than the Samsung keyboard, and the microphone is still at the top

The gestures can be gotten back in 2 minutes by downloading the tool Samsung provides(Goodlock).

If you had a bunch of apps installed with the update, that is your carrier not Samsung.

I have OnePlus phone, and I've had a Pixel, and users go through these same growing pains whenever an update is released. I mean no disrespect with this statement, but if you want a phone that always looks and works the same, an iPhone is the way to go. Otherwise be prepared to be upset again later this year when Android 15/OneUi 7 comes out because there will be more changes then.

A few years ago everyone was complaining because Samsung wasn't providing enough updates.
0 Likes
MKlas
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Just because everyone does it the same, it does not mean that the users have to accept it! They could work on solutions if they wanted to. For example adding a setting how updates are applied. 

0 Likes