Original topic:

S22 - Audio from earpiece turns off when in a voice call

(Topic created: 06-11-2024 09:46 AM)
mirairoses
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

When I'm in a call on Discord or WhatsApp and I'm watching a YouTube video in full screen, the audio comes out of both the earpiece speaker and the loudspeaker, as intended because that is stereo sound.

But when I put my finger near the earpiece grill or move my phone to a different angle, 9 out of 10 times the sound will turn off on the earpiece speaker but not the loudspeaker. This makes it sound really weird and it's super annoying. Does anyone else have this issue?

3 Replies
RedDragon
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

Yes there is a sensor near the earpiece that if there is an object nearby it thinks that your ear is on the earpiece and turn off the sound on the earpiece to prevent damaging your eardrum for loud sound. This is the case for all phones who use earpiece as speaker. This is a safety sensor not defect

0 Likes
mirairoses
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

If it's a safety sensor, it should also work when not in a call. When I am not in a call, I can put my ear next to the earpiece while watching a video or listening to music and it won't turn off

0 Likes
RedDragon
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@mirairoses  The safety sensor is for your ear. I personally experienced this myself when I used the other brand of phone and when i was on loudspeaker call and then i switch to phone earpiece there was a glitch that it did not turn off the loudspeaker so when i put it on my ear, it startled me and it rings my ear due to high pitch voice from the earpiece. 

0 Likes