Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out for assistance.

I understand how frustrating it is experiencing slowness on your phone.

There can be a few factors causing this to occur.

First, let's try testing your phone in safe mode to see if you still experience any slowness or laggy on the phone.

Follow these steps here: 

1. First, completely power off the phone or tablet.

2. Turn on the device and when the Samsung logo appears, press and hold the Volume down key.

3. If done correctly, "Safe mode" will display on the bottom left corner of the screen. If "Safe mode" does not appear, repeat the previous steps.

4. Once you're in Safe mode, you can remove the third-party app that is causing issues.

Start by removing apps that were updated or installed when the problem started.

5. To exit Safe mode, simply restart your phone or tablet and it will reboot normally.

You can also find these steps in this link here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

If you are not experiencing the symptoms in safe mode, then a third party app may be causing the symptoms to occur. I would recommend deleting apps starting with the newest downloads. Now if you are still experiencing the symptoms in safe mode then I encourge you to follow the additional steps below.

If you are experiencing this with a specific app, I would recommend clearing the cache and data on that specific app.

Clear an app's cache: 

Open Settings, and then swipe to and tap Apps. Select or search for the app you want to clear. Tap Storage, and then tap Clear cache.

Clear an app's data:

Open Settings, and then swipe to and tap Apps. Select or search for the app you want to clear. Tap Storage, tap Clear data, and then tap OK. This will completely wipe the app and reset it to the original settings.

You can also find these steps in this link here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077611/

Next step: to make sure your phone and all apps are currently up-to-date to the latest software. This actually plays a big factor in any lagging or slow issues.

I would also recommend wiping the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition store temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly.

1. Back up data on the internal memory. 
  2. If you have signed into a Samsung account on the device, you have activated Anti-theft and will need your Samsung credentials to finish the master reset.
  3. With the device off, press and hold the Volume Up key first, then the Side key. Continue holding while the device powers on.
  4. When the Android logo displays, release all keys and wait until you see the Android system recovery menu options.
  5. Press Volume down to highlight Wipe cache partition, then press Side key to select it.
  6. Continue using the Volume down and Side keys to confirm your choice if prompted.
  7. When complete, highlight Reboot system now with the Volume down key and select it with the Side key.

Now, if you are experiencing issues with sending text messages on your phone. Then that may be a carrier issue and you will need to contact them for further assistance. I can provide a troubleshooting guide for your reference that can walk you through some steps on what to double check on your phone before contacting your carrier regarding this.

The link is provided here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001439/

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S20

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out for assistance.

I understand how frustrating it is experiencing slowness on your phone.

There can be a few factors causing this to occur.

First, let's try testing your phone in safe mode to see if you still experience any slowness or laggy on the phone.

Follow these steps here: 

1. First, completely power off the phone or tablet.

2. Turn on the device and when the Samsung logo appears, press and hold the Volume down key.

3. If done correctly, "Safe mode" will display on the bottom left corner of the screen. If "Safe mode" does not appear, repeat the previous steps.

4. Once you're in Safe mode, you can remove the third-party app that is causing issues.

Start by removing apps that were updated or installed when the problem started.

5. To exit Safe mode, simply restart your phone or tablet and it will reboot normally.

You can also find these steps in this link here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

If you are not experiencing the symptoms in safe mode, then a third party app may be causing the symptoms to occur. I would recommend deleting apps starting with the newest downloads. Now if you are still experiencing the symptoms in safe mode then I encourge you to follow the additional steps below.

If you are experiencing this with a specific app, I would recommend clearing the cache and data on that specific app.

Clear an app's cache: 

Open Settings, and then swipe to and tap Apps. Select or search for the app you want to clear. Tap Storage, and then tap Clear cache.

Clear an app's data:

Open Settings, and then swipe to and tap Apps. Select or search for the app you want to clear. Tap Storage, tap Clear data, and then tap OK. This will completely wipe the app and reset it to the original settings.

You can also find these steps in this link here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077611/

Next step: to make sure your phone and all apps are currently up-to-date to the latest software. This actually plays a big factor in any lagging or slow issues.

I would also recommend wiping the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition store temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly.

1. Back up data on the internal memory. 
  2. If you have signed into a Samsung account on the device, you have activated Anti-theft and will need your Samsung credentials to finish the master reset.
  3. With the device off, press and hold the Volume Up key first, then the Side key. Continue holding while the device powers on.
  4. When the Android logo displays, release all keys and wait until you see the Android system recovery menu options.
  5. Press Volume down to highlight Wipe cache partition, then press Side key to select it.
  6. Continue using the Volume down and Side keys to confirm your choice if prompted.
  7. When complete, highlight Reboot system now with the Volume down key and select it with the Side key.

Now, if you are experiencing issues with sending text messages on your phone. Then that may be a carrier issue and you will need to contact them for further assistance. I can provide a troubleshooting guide for your reference that can walk you through some steps on what to double check on your phone before contacting your carrier regarding this.

The link is provided here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001439/