Original topic:

S22 Ultra S-Pen Air Command Menu and button issues

(Topic created: 06-08-2022 03:35 PM)
usergT9VwrulhD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

I don't like having balloon icons over other apps so I disabled the "Show air command icon" setting but left enabled the "Open Air command with Pen button" setting so I can bring up the menu when I hover the S-Pen tip over the screen and press the Pen button.

However, when I press and hold the Pen button to use a feature such as select text or eraser, the Air command menu pops up after I release the button. It's actually somewhat erratic behaviour. In some apps, like the Note app, this doesn't happen if I hold the button to use the eraser function. However, in other apps using the eraser function will cause the menu to pop up once the button is released. 

Also, the menu will pop up even without releasing the button if the pen is moved more than about 1 cm from the screen. If the button is released while the pen is still touching the screen it doesn't happen. If I raise the tip above the screen, but still close, and wait a few seconds before releasing the button, the menu also doesn't pop up. But in most cases when using the button normally, the menu will tend to pop up then I need to hover and press the button again to close the menu. It's really annoying.

Also, this only happens when "Air view" setting is disabled. If I enable Air view setting, I usually don't get the menu popping up unexpectedly. I prefer Air view being disabled because it can't be enabled at the same time as the accessibility Magnifier feature, which is really helpful when I don't have my glasses on. Of course, I try to use the S-Pen magnifier app as an alternative. Even with Air view on, holding the pen and dragging on the screen will cause the menu to pop up if you're also using the pen's magnifier app.

If I disable the "Open Air command with Pen button" setting, of course this doesn't occur. But then I can't get the menu at all (unless I enable the floating button).

I had a previous S22 Ultra that I exchanged and don't recall this problem, so I'm wondering if I just didn't notice it or if there's actually a hardware issue with my phone or pen.

Can anyone confirm they experience the same behaviour?

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies
User_name
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

does this happen in safe mode? 

it's kind of hard to understand the behavior from your explanation (it's not you, probably me lol) but do you have any screen recording of the issue symptom? 

Submit an error report after replicating the issue if you think it's a software issue
Samsung Members app > Get help > Send feedback > Error reports

0 Likes
usergT9VwrulhD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

No, I think I tried to describe in too much detail and made it confusing...

I tried safe mode and it behaves the same.

I made a screen recording to show the main issue. Is there a way to upload it here?

Thanks!

0 Likes