JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S22 Ultra S-Pen defect

(Topic created: 05-27-2022 04:01 PM)
Options
Galaxy S22
I've had my S22-U since launch day and I really quite rarely use the S-Pen but about a week ago I pulled the pen out to sign a PDF and noticed that the outside layer of the pen was bubbling up around the tip and up near the clicking mechanism. I also smelled a very chemical-like scent arising from the s-pen and port of the phone, and the branding on the pen is also gone. Additionally, anytime I take the s-pen out it is pretty warm. It's clear to me that my S22-U is cooking my s-pen and there is clearly something wrong. Anyone else experiencing anything like this or did I get a defective phone/and or defective s-pen? 
10 Replies
krayzie15
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
I know it should just work right but I would not put it back in phone and use it without it until you can get it looked at
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Yeah, it's really unfortunate. I'm in a chat with Samsung now about it.
0 Likes
Jamalsn
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Funny as I am reading this I am smelling my s pen and it does have a heated battery smell.
Options
Galaxy S22
Oh man, hopefully it's not beginning to happen to you. Mine is awful, after using my s-pen, my hand will smell like it; gross. It's very strange because the s-pen doesn't have a traditional li-ion battery it uses a super-capacitor so it shouldn't get that swelling lithium battery smell. I'm thinking the smell is the rubberized coating on the s-pen being heated up and giving off a noxious smell.
0 Likes
Jamalsn
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
I checked the tip no swelling so far.
Options
Galaxy S22
Not really swelling, it's the outside layer of the pen peeling and bubbling and the Samsung branding towards the click end has completely vanished, like it was baked away.
Well hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a widespread defect because this phone has enough problems already. 20220527_220915_1021_1653703756.jpg
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
not sure how wide spread it is but there are others with burning spen

also one report of phone catching fireSpen_9864_1653707192.jpg
Options
Galaxy S22
Jeez. Well, I'm not sure what route to take here, I don't know if the phone itself is the problem or the s-pen. I'd love for it to be the pen so I can just buy a new one but I really don't want to have to send my whole phone in for this. Have you read or heard any reports that buying a new s-pen resolves this?
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S22

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear you are having to experience this and I can completely understand how concerning the bubbling of the S Pen is. I would like to get this over to our specialized team. In order to do so, please provide some additional information below in a private message.  http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Full Name:
Complete Physical Address:
Contact Phone Number:

Email Address:

Full Model Code:

IMEI Number: