Original topic:

S22 Ultra battery life after February security update

(Topic created: 02-22-2024 12:49 PM)
LornHow
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

After the February security update my battery life has tanked. I charge it to 85% overnight and it lasts about 5 hours with under an hour of screen on time and it's dead. It no longer super charges either, I've tried multiple chargers and same result. I've tried clearing the cache from the bootloader screen, hasn't helped. It's also running warmer than usual which checks out since I can literally watch the battery draining. 

20 Replies
Omi1408
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Thank you for bringing this up. I now know Im not the only one. I have done resets, clearing cache, and nothing. It's not bad on my end, but I noticed its drains a bit more quicker
LornHow
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Have you done a factory reset yet?  I'm probably going to try that soon since I can't function with the battery life this awful.  I'm really dreading it though because I use my phone for work quite a bit and will have to set up all the work authentication stuff again . 

novitaforlife
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Normally, the Samsung S22 series is supposed to be having normal drainage. Could you let me know if it's drainage is faster?
0 Likes
LornHow
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

It's draining way faster than usual after that update.  I would generally plug it in towards the end of my work day with about 20-30% battery remaining.  That was with heavy use as well.  The last couple days after that update I've barely used my phone at all and I'm under 10% after five hours. 

0 Likes
novitaforlife
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Getting it below the percentage of 20%, you're discharging it very slowly, which is not good battery health.
0 Likes
LornHow
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

This comment isn't helpful at all.  Regardless of battery health, I should get more than 5 hours with only 45 minutes screen on time from 85% charge.

0 Likes
3Fees
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S22
Sounds like some kind backgroun8d apps are running, whereas before they were not, I'd try disabling apps you don't use and look for ones that are using battery all the time. I seriously doubt it could be anything else.
What do you think ?

In fact, that would be a good AI feature shutdown or minimize background apps so they don't drain the battery, that would be intelligent.

Cheers
3fees
0 Likes
LornHow
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I think the super charging not working anymore either is throwing me off.  When I go in and look at battery activity nothing is showing up as a big drain.  I have no idea where the battery is going.  Phone is running hot though which is also concerning.  

I feel like at this point my only option is to try factory resetting

0 Likes
3Fees
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S22
It does not take one app doing a lot of battery activity, several apps doing small activity can cause a big drain, further some apps are part of the system which does not show until they are used quite a bit. That's why I disable apps I don't use, private compute and so forth. There are some YouTube videos on privacy and increasing battery life, using device optimization regularly shuts down some background apps running that the system activated not even the user, Do you notice this ?

Cheers
3fees
0 Likes