Original topic:

S22 Ultra camera issues

(Topic created: 06-25-2022 12:13 PM)
Options
Galaxy S22
I don't think there's a fix for this outside of a firmware update, but I'll explain what's up anyway.

I drive a semi truck. One thing I have to do after every delivery is scan my documents using the camera. On my Note 20 Ultra the process was very smooth and efficient. I'd line up the shot and take it, then move onto the next and everything was great. But on my S22 Ultra when I take the shot (telling it I'm scanning a document) things go a bit south.

When I take these photos (often at night) I have some lights on in my truck. These lights generate some shadows. On the old Note 20 the flash would be nice and bright, and flood out those shadows easily. On my new S22 the flash isn't very bright at all and those shadows are very prominent. Also, when I'm taking photos with the S22 there is extreme lag and stutter when I'm lining up my shot, and there's several seconds delay between me taking the photo and the camera finishing saving the image while on the Note 20 it was nearly instant in saving.

The real kicker is there's almost no reason for this. Most of the camera hardware is previous generation and Samsung should have the drivers optimized by now since they've had a couple years working with the hardware now.

I'm really hoping this gets fixed in an update soon. If not then I may be forced to get another phone as I use it a lot for work.
8 Replies
NPC1
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
That doesn't happen on my s22U. Have you done the usual troubleshooting? Starting with clearing cache from the camera app? Then backing up all your photos to a PC first then deleting camera Data. How long have you had the phone? And is this a problem you've encountered from the start?
Options
Galaxy S22
I've had the phone a week. Today was the first time I used the app for more than a short video. I haven't tried clearing the app cache, but I clear device cache through Recovery every couple weeks.
Options
Galaxy S22
Update: Clearing cache didn't help. Turning off scene optimizer helped, but that's not an option as I use the document scanner (and it's edge/corner detection) for my work.
NPC1
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
I've used the document scanner without those issues. Even tried it just now. Maybe it's possible for you to swap out the phone if you're still in the return window. (Need to factory reset the phone for a return so might as well see if that fixes the camera issue)
Options
Galaxy S22
I turned off tracking auto focus and that seems to have fixed the perceived stutter. Still takes annoyingly long to finish saving an image once I mark the corners of the document, but I can live with that
NPC1
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
FYI Google Stack is also another document scanning app.
Options
Galaxy S22
Yeah. I use it for stuff I'm keeping for myself for taxes and whatnot. But it's not as efficient and sometimes it does weird things to the images when converting to black taxt and a white background, like seeing what's on the back side of receipts and trying to make that visible on the front.
NPC1
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Looks like there's a 1.6GB update which has camera improvements. Downloading now.