Original topic:

S22 ultra - some limitations

(Topic created: 03-30-2022 06:52 PM)
ArcherLevante
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
While the return of the Note and integrated S pen is appreciated, just wanted to pen down some thoughts on the step back from Note10+ and Note 20 ultra devices -

1. No more MST support in Samsung Pay – was the only differentiating and USP for Samsung’s own payment app when it could work on older magnetic stripe terminals without needing NFC support. So if you have favorite retailer (like Walmart for example) that hasn’t upgraded to NFC terminals, you might not be able to use the s22 ultra for mobile payments

2. Loss of aptX- Qualcomms own bluetooth codec wasnt widely used but still boasted the compatibility of Note10+ to support a better codec than SBC or AAC. LDAC support still continues in S22 ultra

3. Lack of true super slo mo capture- Note 10+ could capture true 720p @960 fps albeit only for 0.8s while S22 lacks native 960fps slow-motion video. On Galaxy S22 Ultra, users can record approximately 1 second of video captured at 480 fps and digitally enhance the video to 960 fps with approximately 32 seconds of playback

4. Increased weight – the S22 ultra weighs a significant 30g more than the note10 plus. Users will notice this difference as soon as the pick up however, might get accustomed to it with time

5. Lack of a micro sd slot - while the base storage and ram were lower than note 10 and 20 devices (not to mention the steadily increasing base prices), the real limitation is not being able to expand your memory for cheap with an SD card. While cloud storage is an option this is a real limitation for power users who travel often to take advantage of steady internet to upload as well as access cloud storage.

As a closing thought, most software features advertised in s22 ultra is now available in note 10 plus and Note 20 ultra, with the ONE UI 4.1 update including things like object eraser, smart widgets updated camera, calendars and gallery apps.

9 Replies
TURB042O
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
note 20 ultra is heavier.

SD cards are a thing of the past.

and you lost me on the rest 😛
0 Likes
ArcherLevante
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Note 20 ultra isn't heavier than an s22 ultra. Sd card limitation won't be noticed by many but I sure do, just bought a 512 gb yesterday for note 10 plus as the 256 gb one I had earlier was almost full. Cloud storage isn't an option for me with slower internet speeds.
Tom6068
Sun
Options
Galaxy S22
Since you stated that you got the S22 yesterday, you are in the no questions ask return window.
0 Likes
ArcherLevante
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
I was talking about the note 10 plus. I bought a 512gb version of the s22 ultra but honestly I find no difference with the 2 phones aside from a brighter and smoother display and maybe it takes better photos. But yes I'm all set to return this. I found out I like the s pen placement better in note 10 as well as the weight and slim form factor of it too.
0 Likes
NPC1
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
So weird. Samsung sells SD cards, but I guess maybe they are trying to sell subs to a cloud service?
Anyway, to tell the future of what Samsung will do next is to watch what Apple does. 😆
Furyian
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Samsung fans are Samsung fans because they are not apple. Geez, no charging brick, nothing comes with the box and no Micro-SD option = No value proposition and makes me feel like I'm dealing with a company that wants to be everything its fans want to avoid. Been a note user since Note 2. I have a S20 ultra and I guess this is the last Samsung phone for me.
Furyian
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
The inability to expand storage is a bunmer. Samsung needs to realize the reason for its support comes from people who appreciate the micro SD option.

I chose Samsung because of this. Why stop a good thing Samsung
jimmyweda
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Because they want to try and be the first to **bleep** their customers off first. They're getting close because of their lack of good customer service.
0 Likes
Furyian
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I miss alot if features the phone is being lacking since the note 4. Things like rf signle ability to use the as a universal remote.

Then came the removal of the replaceable battery and the headphone jack...

And now the removal of the microsd option.

Next they will removal internal storage and have everyone constantly pulling data from a cloud source. Lol 😄
0 Likes