Original topic:

Screen dimming using Goggle Maps

(Topic created: 05-07-2022 04:28 AM)
usergOaWfSlazN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Has anyone else noticed that their screen dims while using Google maps on the s22 Ultra?  

If I turn off adaptive brightness and turn the screen brightness all the way up, within about 15 seconds of opening Google maps the screen dims down yet the slider doesn't move.  When I close out Google maps within about 15 seconds the screen brightens back up.  

It also does it with the Waze app.  I thought the phone was defective and ordered a new one and before I would take it I told the technician at the Samsung store to open it and test it for me.  The brand new one did the same exact thing as did his s22 Ultra.

What's is that if you minimize the screen size of Google maps and run another app, Google maps brightens up again.  It seems to only happen while it's in full screen.  It's actually very dangerous if you're trying to use navigation.

8 Replies
Diaboyos
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
I know my Google maps dims and darkens with the time of day.
0 Likes
usergOaWfSlazN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
It happens at all times of the day and whether I'm in the sun or the dark.
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
You may have to contact Google and see what they have to say.
0 Likes
usergOaWfSlazN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
I did. I wiped the cache and uninstalled updates.

It doesn't happen on my OnePlus 9 Pro. It's a Samsung problem for sure.
0 Likes
l10
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
My S21+ (and my older S21) both do the same thing. Have noticed that behavior since I got them early last year
0 Likes
usergOaWfSlazN
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
My s21 Ultra never did it. Only my s22 Ultra.

It's so alloying that I may return the phone.
0 Likes
MrSerg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

I have this problem too. And not just on Google Maps. In other applications too. Sometimes in cloudy weather I can hardly see what is on the screen. The brightness is set to 100%. I hope this gets fixed. I don't want to have that kind of problem on a $1,000 phone.

0 Likes
userbWy6gCXzjg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

This has been happening to me since the S20. My S22 Ultra does the same thing. Samsung does this to save battery and heat. It’s ridiculous. Getting rid of it and switching to iPhone. Ever since LG got out of the mobile game, we don’t have a lot of flagship choices in the US anymore. Samsung knows they can do this stuff now with minimal competition. They truly don’t care anymore. Stop buying Samsung products.